Author Topic: Smallwoods Family  (Read 13069 times)

Offline lenellie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Alexander Canning and Family
    • View Profile
Smallwoods Family
« on: Friday 28 September 07 16:08 BST (UK) »
Calling all Smallwoods to reply please am searching for all relatives of Smallwods as I am trying to build a complete  tree  Samuel Smallwoods Married  Anne Deans and  then remarried  died in Glasgow
Parkhill, Smallwoods...Stewart, Ferguson .....McClintock, Latta Dines , Hughes.....Canning,  Cartin ......Duddy,Warnock

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Smallwoods Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
 8)...As folks on the boards here usually like as much info as possible to try and assist, it may help to add, Samuel and Margaret married in Londonderry in November 1879. His parents were Samuel Smallwood/s and Elizabeth Dallas, who married in Londonderry in 1857.

Sometime after Margaret died, Samuel  left Ireland for Greenock (near Glasgow), where he married Mary Doherty in 1917 (she also came from Londonderry). He worked in the shipyards, and died in Scotland in 1932.  Some/all of his children by his first wife remained in Ireland.

The main townland associated with the family was Ballynamore and the church, Lower Cumber Presbyterian Church, albeit Kilfennan, Eglinton, etc were also mentioned.

Samuel jnr's birth is likely to have been between 1859 and 1865, albeit the record is somewhat elusive. His siblings were/included Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Margaret, William and Joseph. There was possibly also a James, all born between 1864 and 1875. His own children were/included Samuel, Eliza, Isabella, James, Margaret, George, Mary and Matilda, born between 1880 and 1899.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline lenellie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Alexander Canning and Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 07 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  I am Sam Smallwoods  Great great grandaughter Elaine   thank you for all the info 
Parkhill, Smallwoods...Stewart, Ferguson .....McClintock, Latta Dines , Hughes.....Canning,  Cartin ......Duddy,Warnock

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 September 07 16:45 BST (UK) »
Have this connection in my husband's family tree:
Henry/Harry Smallwood (b.c1894 probably Co.Derry) m.(c1920) Annette Christie (born c1896 Drumadreen?, Limavady area). Son William born c1924- not sure if there were other children.
1920 Census- Chicago, Illinois: Harry Smallwood is a fireman with railroad? He to U.S.1914 and wife Annette to U.S. 1913.
1930 Census- Chicago, Illinois: Henry Smallwood is now engineer with __ railway, to U.S. 1915. Wife Annette also to U.S. 1915.
1956 Harry & Annette still living in Chicago area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 September 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi  I am Sam Smallwoods  Great great grandaughter Elaine   thank you for all the info 

8)...I know... ;D

As previously promised, I will send my most recent finds to you soon.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 September 07 16:57 BST (UK) »
aghadowey, the Smallwood/s name certainly seems to have been concentrated in County Londonderry in that timescale. There were a number of Smallwood/s males of the right age to be  possibilities for your Harry/Henry's dad. Will dig around my manual notes and see if anything turns up.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 September 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey again, I see your Henry arrived May 11th 1914 and gives his place of birth as Boveva, Limavady and notes his mother, Rebecca Smallwoods,  as being his nearest relative in country he has left.

A Martha Smallwoods, also of Boveva, goes to America later in 1914 (October 19th). She notes her father as nearest relative and names him as James Smallwoods of Boveva.

Maybe they were brother and sister, if so, then you have both parents' names.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 September 07 17:31 BST (UK) »
Ulster Covenant/Declaration doesn't seem to have James at Boveva, but does have Rebecca.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 07 17:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Scotmum. Suspect that Henry gave mother's name because father was dead.
His wife Annette Christie is my husband's relative. Had been told years ago that "Margaret Christie married Smallwoods and lived in Chicago" but only recently found out that it was Annette when I found her brother going to U.S. in 1923 and giving Annette's name and address.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!