Author Topic: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere  (Read 39954 times)

Offline dflansburg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Witherow families, Aughlish, Gallony, Belfast and elsewhere
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 05:35 BST (UK) »
I would like to contact anyone who is researching the Witherow family from Londonderry County, Ireland.  I have an ancestor named Thomas Witherow born 1795 and I can find neither his parents nor any information on him in Ireland - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Darin Flansburg

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Just to save people from having to read all through this thread-

"he was born in the parish of Aghadowey in 1795 and that he came to the USA in 1821 (per his naturalization papers).  Also his first wife was Jane Campbell.  They probably married around 1817/18 as their son John was born about 1819.  Jane died soon after coming to the USA and Thomas married next Nancy Patterson.  Their children were Robert, William, Thomas, James, David, Joseph and Samuel."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline belfasthenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have a book that has been staring at me from my shelf every since my father died 10 years ago. Its called The Autobiography of Thomas Witherow 1824 - 1890.

I have a copy too!  My mother provided some of the pictures that are in it.

Thomas was born on 29 May 1824
he married Catherine Milling on 13 April 1859

He had 3 sons two of whom died in infancy
The third was Rev James Milling Witherow
His daughters were
Mrs W Adams
Mrs D Craig,
Mrs A Gilchrist
Mrs Dr Hamilton
Mrs H M Knox
Miss J Witherow

Hope this is of interest to some one.

I've just joined rootschat and I'm like a child who has suddenly opened a box of treasures.

The Mrs D Craig mentioned above (Marie Lilias, known as "May") was my Great-Grandmother on my mother's mother's side.  I remember visiting her as a very small boy, in a great tall house in Portrush, and that she -- to tiny me -- was an ancient and scary apparition all in black.  I probably knew, or know of, some of the others, but mainly by their first names ("Aunt so-and-so") so I'm not sure which is which.  I have a photograph of Oaks Lodge, where David and May Craig lived for a period early in their lives.  It was in Goshaden, and has been demolished.

My grandmother, daughter of Marie Lilias, married Thomas Watson and I have extensive information about that part of the family, but nothing much about either the Witherows (aside from the renowned Thomas), or the Craigs. 

I have some photographs, including some Millings; I didn't know until now who they were and where they fitted.

Glad to read any more, if this thread is still alive.

Offline Witherow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hello there Belfast Henry

Welcome to Rootschat, this thread is definitely still alive and I have extensive information on quite a few of the Rev Thomas Witherows son and daughters and indeed am in contact with quite a few of their living descendants in various parts of the world. The Craig line is the one that I have the least information on as I have just started a short while on that one, but I can take the Witherow line backwards and sideways quite a bit for you. You will need to post another two posts on Rootschat to enable me to personal message you my e-mail address and then we can get cracking by e-mail or if you are resident in Northern Ireland we could even meet up somewhere. It may be next week before I can get going for you as I'm off to Scotland this weekend (leaving Friday and back on Sunday) Prepare to meet some interesting characters and information, it's a very interesting tree.

regards

Witherow
Witherow, Robinson, Wray, Martin,

Offline belfasthenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Interesting that you should say that you're short of information on the Craig line; in my bit of the family we have extensive information on the Watsons for several generations back but hardly a word on the Craigs.  I have a photograph of David Craig (who married Marie Lilias Witherow) but even my mother, who still remembers who everybody was, has knowledge only of a few Craig uncles and cousins and little else.

I do know of a Craig of my generation living in Co Derry and I expect he knows something.  When I've done my three posts I'll PM you and we can compare notes. 

Offline belfasthenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Witherow, you're plainly an old hand at this so I expect you found ages ago what I've just found, but at http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?id=931 there's a record of a gravestone inscription for a number of members of the Craig family, some of whom I can place because I've heard talk of them.

Also interesting is that Robert Edwin Lee Craig (d 1977) was married to a Lena Lilias (d 1998), who I'm sure was a Witherow, since it was often said in the family that Uncle Lee and Aunt Lena were cousins, but not of one another.