Author Topic: **COMPLETED** Kirkintilloch/Lenzie 1911 census look-up  (Read 6464 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkintilloch/Lenzie 1911 census look-up
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 September 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Lesley,

What a co-incidence!  I and my husband live in a house on Kirkintilloch Road, Lenzie called Rosneath which we believe was built by and for the McClunan family! 

I was looking to find out more about the history of the house as I think only 4 or 5 families have lived in it.   As we have tried to restore some of the original details, it has become obvious that the builder or family that commissioned the house must have chosen the stained glass and the wood finishes as they are different to the matching house next door.

I think the Patons followed the McClunans.  Then it was the Sutherlands, followed by the Mathesons and then us, the Hatchers.  We know the Sutherlands and the Mathesons but not the earlier families.

I hope you did see the right Rosneath - we have the name outside which should be visible from the road.  If you are ever through this way again you should come in and have a coffee or tea.

Best regards
Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Smartie16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 September 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Isabel

Lovely to hear from you and exciting too!

In fact it turned out that my friend, Pete, and I were looking at the wrong house!  He had Googled Rosneath and came up with a company called Rosneath Ltd who were registered to 51 Kirkintilloch Rd so that's where we were.  I was pretty sure it couldn't be the right house as 51 and 53 Kirkintilloch Rd are linked - almost as though it was originally one big house split into two, though still joined together if that makes sense.

I had a good dig through some information I had yesterday after I sent my original e-mail and found the one and only photo of Rosneath, plus a handwritten potted history from my aunt (my dad's sister) which gives a little information about the house.  As soon as I looked at the photo I realised we'd been looking at the wrong house!

I have attached a scan of the one photo I have of the house which my mum gave me.  Having used Google satellite I took a 'walk' up and down Kirkintilloch Rd and spotted a house which looked identical to my photo just along the road from where we'd been and almost across the road from the entrance to Viewfield Ave.  The view from above showed two identical houses and the image is from 2008.  I could clearly see the front of the house which showed the stained glass but the house next door, to the right, is obscured by lots of trees.

Is this your house, ie Rosneath?

Kind regards

Lesley

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Lesley,

Oh, the company Rosneath Ltd. registered at 51 Kirkintilloch Road is my husband's company.  People get confused about this one road which is Lenzie Road in Kirkintilloch, Kirkintilloch Road in Lenzie and becomes Auchinloch Road at Lenzie Station.  There are 2 or 3 houses numbered 51, one in each section of the road!  Particularly one in a range of houses next to the BP petrol station in Auchinloch Road.  I can't think of linked houses that might be where your friend took you.

The photograph you attached is definitely our house, opposite Viewfield Road.  It looks as if it was taken after the road outside was re-aligned in the 1930s and Rosneath lost a bit of its front garden along with the railings.  Also there's a waste pipe at the front which must be from the wash hand basin in the little bedroom which I thought was put in around 1965.  Next door is definitely screened by trees as they kept their front garden in the road re-alignment.  On Google Streetview, you will probably have seen an old green Rover in the drive (that's about 4 cars ago!).

So we are talking about the same place, for sure.  You really must come and visit us sometime, we would so love to have someone like you visit!

I'm away from home at the moment and don't have any current pics of the house on this laptop but I do have this old one from 1910 or so!  Rosneath is the house fourth from right in the middle of the photo.  Maybe that is some of your family in the road!  I will send an up to date one in a day or two. 

Can we move off here and on to email?  Mine is *

Best regards
Isabel(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Smartie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Isabel

This is fascinating and just wish my mum was still alive to hear about it but sadly, she passed away just over 3 yrs ago.  Loved the old photo you attached and what a thought that relatives may have been in the shot!

I'm at work at the moment so will send a more indepth reply tonight or tomorrow with what info I have on the McClunans and Rosneath/Lenzie.

The RootsChat site moderator didn't let your e-mail through unfortunately.  I will have a try with mine to see if that works - if you just delete any spaces when you type it: (*)

If not, feel free to text your e-mail to my mobile:  (*)

Speak soon.

Kind regards

Lesley

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail and telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
As indicated above, please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 23:14 BST (UK) »
Have emailed you Lesley in case it goes into your junk box!
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Smartie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Isabel

Looks like you caught my details in time then as the site Moderator now appears to have removed them.

I can't access my Hotmail from the office so will pick up your e-mail tonight.

Kind regards

Lesley

Offline davidconway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 November 13 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Isabel,the Kirkie library have back copies of Kirkintilloch Herald on microfilm.Today they found an informative advert for the auction[roup] of my house[Ravelston now 53]in the issue of 25/6/47,guide price £3000.Were any of the previous owners of Rosneath doctors? I found details of the surgeon who lived here before me in Medical Register/Directory from the 1950s.The address is given as Ravelston,not 53.David Conway

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 December 13 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, how funny we are interested in the same history!  We could share some of it over the garden wall!!
Lesley who replied to my earlier posts told me that her great grandfather who bought Rosneath from new was a sales representative.  It went on to his son and daughter and possibly grandchildren but I don't know their occupation.  I think they were the people that sold it to the Sutherlands in the early 1960s.  That was done very privately I know as no-one wanted to advertise the house.  The Sutherlands were medical but I haven't looked them up - seems funny to do that when we know the boys so well!
The surgeon before you was presumably the Livingston family - I had no idea they had been in Ravelston for so long.
I think I have possibly exhausted my interest in this now ... but thanks for commenting! 
Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Ronnie Houston

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: **COMPLETED** Kirkintilloch/Lenzie 1911 census look-up
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley - I am currently researching the history of Lenzie Bowling Club and delving through old minutes and newspaper articles in preparation for the 150th Anniversary in a couple of years time.

George Henry McClunan was a very prominent member and Club President for two years running in 1922 and 1923, and was made an Honorary Life Member in 1947

It would be wonderful if you were able to share a photograph of your great grandfather that we might be able to use on our facebook site and any history publications.

If you contact me through the Lenzie Bowling Club facebook page, by message, I would be very grateful, and I can share what information I have and might gain in the future,

Regards

Ronnie