Author Topic: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham  (Read 47934 times)

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 December 11 10:36 GMT (UK) »
hello . i believe the monk family are married to my Ireland family? My great Grandad was John ireland married Elizabeth proctor. regards Selina

Offline USWaveUSNRet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 March 12 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi... I recently found out my VAREY and HOWARD were Romany Gypsy! I think it's pretty cool!

I was hoping, like many folks do, to find some royalty... but I find this more interesting!

My great great grandfather was James Varey, born about 1844... maybe Jan 1844, not proven. He married Dinah Howard. I do NOT know James father, but do know he had a brother, but don't know his name... as his nephew was living with him.

Dinah's parents were John Howard and Margaret Lowther.

John Howard's parents were Richard Howard Sr and Margaret "Unknown"

Margaret Lowther's parents were George Lowther and Dinah "Unknown"

Now James and Dinah Varey had 15 children as per census records, but only 6 were living. The 6 living were: Margaret, Downes, Mary Ann, Grace, Sarah and Dina. For the other 9 children, I found two more, through Baptism records, James (born 1874, but had to have died prior to 1881, as he is not on the census) and Charlotte (born 1877, she was not on the 1881 census either). I am still searching for the other 7 children.

Grace Varey, daughter of James Varey and Dinah Howard is my great grandmother and she moved to NYork in 1894. She had married a Peter Manning. I was told he died in England, but a few days ago, I found a baptism record for a Bridget Manning in Pittsburgh, PA and the parents listed were Peter Manning and Grace nee Varey... I know they had a Peter and Dinah. Was told Dinah died on the ship coming over. Only Grace, Peter and Dinah are listed on the ships records. But before Bridget was born, a census record for the US of 1900 lists a daughter Margaret born in Pennsylvania. Now I believe she may have been born in Pittsburgh, but have not located any records (i.e., baptism). Did Peter come to the US ahead of Grace? Why did she arrive to the New York port instead of Philadelphia? Still so many unanswered questions. I'm doing some research of Pittsburgh to see if I can come up with answers before I make a visit there.

Now, back to James Varey and Dinah Howard. James is listed from 1871 to 1891 as either a Hawker, Hawker of Earthenware, Horse Dealer and Potter (also listed on the baptism records of some of his children.)

Oh, Grace, on the ship's manifest is listed as a Hawker.

Dinah's father, John Howard... on the baptism records of his children, he is listed also as a Hawker of Earthenware and Pottery.

Even John Howard's father, Richard is listed as Hawker, Earthenware.

The places of baptism for the children were: St Mary the Virgin, St Peter and Pudsey Parish Church. Not familiar with England, I tried to research on google map to locate them, but not sure if they are the same churches.

Dates go from 1819 to 1891 from the research I have done. I made contact with a young lady in England who is my 4th cousin once removed through the Howard lineage. She is connected through Howard/Stewart... I'm Howard/Varey.

Researched on Romany Gypsies and found lots of websites that gave me more insight on my ancestors and their way of life. Maybe this is why I enjoy camping so much?

Does anyone have any connections to the names I mentioned? I hope so... I am running into dead ends now :(

Oh, Peter Manning that married Grace Varey is not my great grandfather. Grace is found living in New York on the 1900 census with her children, Peter and Margaret and married to her second husband, who is my great grandfather. So, now I want to find out what happened to Peter Manning. I have a pic of his son, Peter as a grown man and a couple of pics of my grandmother with her siblings and half siblings as well as my great grandmother, Grace.

Thank you for any insight!
Annmarie

Offline USWaveUSNRet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 26 March 12 02:07 BST (UK) »
Forgot something... Dinah Howard's sister, Sarah... she married William Varey, whose father was James Varey.

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 09:40 GMT (UK) »
hi miller

my relative is margaret monk who married david varey

they lived in bolton and david was a carpet hawker

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 10:17 GMT (UK) »
miller

david varey married margaret monk (not monks)

her youngest brother was john monlk my g g father b 1861

though it appears john also used monks on 1901 census

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 10:26 GMT (UK) »
hi andy v

i am related to margaret monk (not monks) who married david varey

david and margaret moved to bolton

margarets brother jphn monk also moved to bolton with his family

david was a carpet hawker as was john monk

john monk is my ggfather

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 10:31 GMT (UK) »
hi selinat

monk and ireland are related

lawrence monk married elizabeth ireland which leads to me

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 December 12 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of Lancashire VAREYs in my database so I will just add some and then more if anybody asks. They are filed alphabetically by parish:

VAREY BAPTISMS LAN
LAN.MAN Ashton under Lyne St Michael bp6/12/1846 (b22/11) Downs s/o William/Rebecca, lab of A.

LAN.MAN Ashton under Lyne St Michael bp20/1/1867 (b6/1/1866) Nancy d/o Joseph/Lydia, hkr of A

LAN.MAN Ashton under Lyne St Michael bp6/10/1867 (b24/9) Thomas s/o James/Mary Ann, e-w.dlr of A

LAN.MAN Ashton under Lyne St Michael bp1/5/1878 (b16/4) David s/o James/Mary, hkr of Oldhall Street

LAN.MAN Ashton under Lyne St Michael bp10/7/1881 (b31/5) William s/o John/Mary, e-w.dlr of A

LAN.PRE Blackburn Cathedral (St Mary the Virgin) bp22/2/1846 (b12/2) Nancy d/ James/Sarah, chinaman of B. [VARAH sic]

LAN.PRE Blackburn Cathedral (St Mary the Virgin) bp22/5/1864 (b10/5) Richard s/o Joseph/Christiana, e-w.dlr of Moor Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Cathedral (St Mary the Virgin) bp24/5/1878 (b10/5) Jane d/o James/Martha, hrs.dlr of 9, Water Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Cathedral (St Mary the Virgin) bp8/9/1880 (b25/8) Ann d/o Joseph/Mary, hkr of 7, Hurdle Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Cathedral (St Mary the Virgin) bp27/3/1881 (b18/2) Jane Ann d/o William/Ann, hkr of 87, Bolton Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp27/10/1878 (b12/10) Ellen d/o Joseph/Mary, hkr of 33, Moor Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp9/11/1881 (b28/10) William s/o William/.Janet, hkr of 81, Clever Street [VERRAY sic]

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp18/11/1883 (b5/11) James s/o James/Margaret, hkr of Back Nunn Street [VERRAY sic]

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp7/12/1884 (b27/11) Henry s/o William/Jane, hkrs of 6, Ellershaw Court

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp6/9/1885 (b26/8) Thomas s/o David/Margaret, hkr of Ellershaw Court

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp4/2/1887 (b16/6/1885) Nancy d/o James/Mary, hkr of Ellershaw Court

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp20/3/1887 (b3/3) Richard s/o Charles/Mary Ann, hkr of Cleaver St

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp9/5/1887 (b6/5) William s/o David/Margaret, hkr, 2, Old James St

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp16/12/1888 (b5/12) Nancy d/o William/Jane, hkr, 8 Hindle Rd

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp23/12/1888 (b13/12) Joseph s/o James/Mary, hkr of 9, Mount Pleasant

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp12/1/1890 (b26/12/1889) Elizabeth d/o William/Jane, hkr of 10, Hindle Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp29/6/1890 (b2/6) John s/o James/Mary, hkr of Ellershaw Court, 9, Mount Pleasant

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp22/10/1893 (b6/8) Alfred s/o Joseph/Mary hkr 7 Cleaver St

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp11/7/1894 (b2/7) Nancy d/o Thomas/Jane, hkr of 13, Ellershaw Court

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp24/11/1895 (b15/10) Jemima d/o William/Ann, hkrs of Margaret Ann Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp25/10/1896 (b5/10) Sarah Elizabeth d/o William/Annie, hkr of 4, Margaret Ann Street [VARY sic]

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp7/11/1897 (b18/10) Mary d/o William/Ann, hkr, 29, Moor St

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity pbp15/8/1898 (b14/8) Rachael Ann d/o Enoch/Mary Elizabeth, hkr of 3, Margaret Ann Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp10/3/1901 Jane? d/o Jacob/Alice, hrs.dlr of 28, Water St.

LAN.PRE Blackburn Holy Trinity bp30/11/1902 (b29/10) Jacob s/o Richard/Mary, pedlar of 28, Mount Pleasant

LAN.PRE Blackburn St Mary bp15/3/1874 (b6/3) Jane d/o William/Janet, hkr of Duke Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn St Thomas (Copy Nook) bp21/1/1877 (b9/12/1876) Thomas s/o William/Mary Jane, hkr of 50, Bottomgate

LAN.PRE Blackburn St Thomas (Copy Nook) bp8/4/1877 (b9/3) Thomas s/o William/Ann, e-w.dlr of 11, Rose Street

LAN.PRE Blackburn St Thomas (Copy Nook) bp19/7/1896 (b28/6) Richard s/o Thomas/Jane, trav’g hkr of 4, Rodgett Street

LAN.MAN (Gt) Bolton Emmanuel Holy Trinity bp8/10/1854 Joanna d/o Richard/Ann, e-w.dlr of Gt.B [VERY sic]

LAN.BIF Broughton bp25/12/1875 Ann d/o John/Ann, potter of Fiefield

LAN.BIF Broughton bp2/3/1890 John s/o John/Mary Ann?, hkr of New Street

LAN.PRE Burnley Gannow St John the Baptist bp5/2/1882 (b18/1) John s/o David/Margaret, hkr of 10, Log Lane

LAN.PRE Burnley Gannow St John the Baptist bp4/4/1887 (b16/3) Richard s/o James/Mary, hkr of Wood Top

LAN.BIF Cartmel bp29/5/1774 Edward s/o John/-, of Nether Newton, [VERAY sic]

LAN.BIF Cartmel bp26/12/1780 Sarah, illeg d/o -/Martha, of Lindal [VERAY sic]

LAN.BIF Cartmel bp26/12/1847 (b4/12) Sarah d/o Richard/Anne, potter of Ayside

TL

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 07 March 13 19:59 GMT (UK) »
hi

margaret monk was my great grandfathers older sister

they lived in bolton and sold carpets

david and margarets son david varey died a few months old and is buried in the same grave as flora ireland in preston