Author Topic: helena boswell  (Read 15169 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: helena boswell
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 January 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
hi vince.found quite a strong line of boswells and smith in my line now.do you know of a earnest smith known as oni or omi.fathered clack lizzie who married oliver cooper?earnests father was uriah and uriahs dad was  reuben smith who married sophia(also known as syphorella boswell.she was the daughter of lewis and cleopatra boswell?anything you know would be gratefully received.cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Dino from Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 December 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Nel

Are you still looking for more info on this person?

She was my grandmother and I can clear up the name query/ birth details/ and the other marriage between Boswell/Webb in Blean.

Regards

Dino
Webb, Rigden, Pattenden - WHITSTABLE
Hamblin, Wells - W.SHEFFORD Berkshire
Hamblin, Adams, Galifeant - WEST HAM
Olive, Chapman - WOOLWICH
Rigden, Granger - CANTERBURY
Simmons, Ward - NOTTING HILL

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 December 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dino,

yes,definately.

What i have is this:

Martha Jane Webb/Nathaniel Camburn june quart 1900 Blean.He was my g uncle.
She ran a general store at 40 Island Wall,Whitstable.
They had 8 children:

George Camburn married Alice Towles,their daughter Gwenith married Lawrence Armitage.George had a second marriage to Gladys Kelly.

Arthur Camburn married Nellie Hostad,they had 12 children.

Mark Camburn married Helen Thomason.

No partners for other 5.

Martha Jane Webbs siblings were:

Caroline married Arthur Ladd.

Harry married Jessie unknown.She was born 1887 Folkstone.Cant find a marriage and would like to find out who she was.There daughter Ada married James Warner.Their daughter Pam married Donald Dunn and their son Barry married Rosemary Dunn.

George Webb married Annie Godden,children Alfred,Ben and Harry who married Joyce Davies.

Edward  Webb.

Alfred Webb.

Elizabeth Webb married Jersey Gambrill,3 children.

Thomas Webb.

Benjamin Horace Webb(Ben) married Helena M Boswell march quart 1916 Blean then dec quart 1919.Her death in Canterbury suggests a birthdate of 1899.
Ben Webb born 1896 died 1947 Bridge.
They had 7 children.

Parents were Henry G Webb b1854 and Elizabeth Rigden b1857 Canterbury.

Id be really grateful for anything else you can add about the Webbs,especially after 1900,as i know very little about them after that.

Im also very interested in Helena Boswell as shes a mystery,and whether she might have had a connection to the Romany Boswells.Im also very intrigued about the 2 marriages.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Nel.

Offline Dino from Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 December 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
The 2 marriages are between different Benjamin Webbs and Helena Boswells.

It gets a bit confusing so I'll explain the basics first and maybe fill in a bit more info or answer questions you might have later.

My grandmother was born Helena Clara May Simmons on 30/12/1899 in Newington, Surrey (Elephant & Castle area of London). She can be found on the 1901 Census at 50 Boyson Road Newington.

Her aunt, Helena Mary Simmons (born 1863 Notting Hill) married James William Boswell (b.1855 Lambeth) in 1894 Camberwell. He died 1909 and on the 1911 Census aunt and niece are living at 15 Pelham St, Hastings.

At some time after this date they moved to Whitstable and my grandmother took the Boswell surname. As far as I know she was never adopted by Helena Boswell and her parents were still alive (they are also on the 1911 census) so i don't know why.

Helena Boswell (b.1863) married Benjamin Webb (b. 1867 Whitstable) on 23/03/1916 and Helena Boswell (b.1899) married his nephew Benjamin Horace Webb (b.1896 Whitstable) on 08/11/1919.

This is the kind of information no amount of research is likely to throw a light on without a living link - luckily I started researching my family tree before my dad died and when I told him I couldn't find any Helena Boswell born 1899 he just casually said try Simmons - I had never heard the name mentioned before!

I'll leave it here for now - but will gladly fill in any further gaps if I can.

Cheers Dino.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 January 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dino,and sorry about the delay.

Looking at the census i can see how that all fits.I had only gone back as far as Benjamins father,so i didnt realise he had an uncle Benjamin.

As to whether they were Romany Boswells,i would say probably not as they are settled and mason isnt to my knowledge a traveller occupation.

Incidentally,do you know who Ben Webbs brother Harry married?Her 1st name was Jessie born 1887 Folkstone,but ive been unable to find a marriage.Im thinking she could have been Jessie Godden born 1887 Folkstone as she has a sister Annie Sophia born 1890 Folkstone who married Ben and Harrys brother George.But i cant be sure without the marriage.

Thanks,Nel.

Offline Junean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 September 13 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I did a web search regarding the Webbs and came across your forum on Rootschat.com.  I was so happy to find someone that knows a little bit about the Webb's.  My husband's Grandfather is Thomas Webb on your tree. The brother of Martha Jane Webb.  Thomas Webb and Edward Webb went to Canada to start a new life there.  So I can fill you in on a bit about them.  I was wondering though how you got Harry Webb's children names?  My records show them as Ada (1908) Benjamin (1915) and Harry(1918) also I have Harry married to Jessie Maud Godden.  Most of this info I have gotten from other trees researching the same family and some census.  I would love it if I could get it just right.  Anyways your forum was very helpful to me.  I can fill you in on what I have from Thomas and Edward.  Also Alfred never married because he died in the first world war at Dover bay.  I have documentation of this.  My husband's grandfather always talked about his brother Alfred and my husband has a ring that Alfred got when he was in the war.  So please feel free to ask me anything and I will try and fill you in on what I know.

Brenda Webb

Offline Dino from Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Brenda
I've just seen your comments and would love to exchange info.
As far as the details of Harry's children, it's a bit unsure as both he and his brother George married Godden sisters. The details I have are from http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ which gives the mothers maiden name for births after 1912 but obviously they are Webb/Godden in both instances (search under district of Blean).
I have an interesting newspaper article about Alfred's death in 1917 which I can let you see.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards
Dino

Offline Junean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Dino,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have a very bad photo copy of an article about Alfred.  I would love to see if your copy is better or even the same one.  From this forum I am assuming you are a Webb or at least related to one.  You said your grandmother was Helena Clara May Simmons who married Benjamin Horace Webb.  Benjamin would be Thomas Webb's brother.  So I am thinking that you and my husband are 2nd cousins.  Nel said that Benjamin had 7 childern I was wondering if this is correct.  I have only started researching the siblings of Thomas.  Most of my research is on Ancestry I have a tree there.  I would be very interested in sharing information with you.  As I said Thomas and Edward both came to canada.  Interesting fact is that my husband didn't even know he had a great uncle on the Webb's side in Canada until I did some research not sure what happen there with the brothers.  Also a couple of Camburns came over to help Edward on his farm in Alberta.  But after 1940 I lost track of them also not sure they might have gone back to Wales.  I also have found some things of the internet about Alfred.  Anything you need to know please feel free to ask.

Brenda

Offline Dino from Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda
Yes my surname is Webb and my grandparents had 7 children. My dad had a brother and 5 sisters.
I have on my tree Webb's going back to 1762 in Whitstable. As far as the Canada contingent I knew that Edward married and had a daughter but I never had any details of Thomas marrying.
I'll dig out the article on Alfred and attach it to a later post.
Cheers Dino