Author Topic: William Taylor b1850 Kirkintilloch.  (Read 12547 times)

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Taylor b1850 Kirkintilloch.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi looby  :) thats the address for agnes miller /taylor when she got married and checked it out on ancestry and its giving them names for her parents too :) yeah the 1901  SP census shows williams birth as kirkintilloch ,ancestry shows it too in 1881.
 agnes father was george and mother helen young so thanks for that , brigtonians  :) my own mother was married there  :)
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
It's strange and maybe a little too convenient that a William Taylor of approx the correct age with a mother called Catherine is living just down the street from the Millers in 1851  :-\

Have you found the William Taylor who married Agnes on the 1871 Census? You will have his occupation from his marriage cert which will be a big help in identifying him.
Also what did the couple call their children and in what order were they born? As you will probably know childrens names can sometimes (but not always) give clues.

You mention that William deserted his family circa 1891 but returned by 1901. Why do you say that? If he is missing from the Census of 1891 with his wife he could be working away from home/ visiting family/friends/ in hospital or in jail  ;D. Or do you know that he did leave them?

Looby :)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look at the 1881 census and there are multiple William Taylors living with a wife called Agnes in Glasgow alone. Like Looby I'd like to know the occupation listed on the marriage cert and also his address at the time of marriage. Do you have the birth certificates of any of the children showing with the 'born in Kirkintilloch' William on the 1881 census?
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 April 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry if we're firing a lot of questions at you Ray  ::) ;D
Just trying to get more info to try and help solve your mystery.
Incidentially I'm not so sure now about the Catherine Parker/Angus Carrie couple until we investigate William further, as I'm having no joy finding a Kirkintilloch born boy on 1851 and 1861. Not to say he's not there, but he's hiding well!
Looby

Offline Rayjamgor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 April 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
Still recovering from last night  ;D here goes . ive got william in 1901 ,head of house hold 51, agnes 50 , alexander 14 and james 12 .  ,
 in 1891  agnes is head of household aged 40 with william 17 , joseph  (miller) 15 ( tracked him via rootschat Canada) alexander (dunlop) got his family in Shotts, 3 and my granda james ( dunlop) 1. it states agnes is "deserted", aint got a clue what that means or where he was.( joe ,george and john had middle name Miller )
 on the 1881 census on ancestry i have william 29 , agnes 30 william 7 , joseph 6 ,george m  4 john m 1  and im sure ive got a helen on a cert between john and alexander . always wondered why such big gap between joe and alex.
 on the marriage in 1872 there addresses were 21 well st glasgow , and my granda s birth certifiicate william is down as tailor,journeyman( my mum used to say Taylor by name Tailor by trade ) and they stayed in the gorbals/hutcheston area ,  50 Crown st and then Orchard st .
 this has sure sobered me up on this fine sunday morn and thanks again , raymie ;)
Gordon, Taylor , Little, Clark, McInnes/McGinnes ,Roch,Roche, Millar/Miller, Welsh,Walsh, Stewart, Kennedy, McDonald, Brown, McLachlan , Orr, McMillan, McDonagh, Middleton, Robertson, Livingstone, Duff, Hunter, McClean, Campbell, Brown ,Cummings ,Roy, Wade ,Smith , Kelly,Kennedy,McDonald.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi  again Ray,
Do you know where the middle name Dunlop comes from that Alexander and James had?

I think to establish William's ancestry you need to find him on the 1871 Census prior to his marriage. If he married in Bridgton in 1872 there's a good chance he was in Glasgow working the year before.

I take it that on the 1901 Census and the 1881 he has given his place of birth as Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire?
I am still pondering the William Taylor who is living down the road in 1851 from the Millers :-\
Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 April 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
....and im sure ive got a helen on a cert between john and alexander .

Maybe this Helen here, born after the 1881 census https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT64-FF8

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
William's occupation is quite specific as tailor (stands out from general labourer etc.). From 1881:

William Taylor 29 tailor b. Kirkintilloch
Agnes Taylor 30
William Taylor 7
Joseph Taylor 6
George M Taylor 4
John M Taylor 1

Address: 49 Richard St, Glasgow Anderston

And then in 1891:

Agnes Taylor 40 deserted (likely not too long ago given the age of youngest)
William Taylor 17 Bookbinder
Joseph Taylor 15 Mason (Apprentice)
Alexander Taylor 3
James Taylor 1

Address: 50 Crown St, Glasgow Govan/Gorbals

Rayjamgor, given that Agnes shows as 'deserted' in 1891, have you considered she may have claimed poor relief in William's absence? Glasgow records are some of the best in this area of poor relief applications, but they require a personal look up at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
This William Taylor has me stumped - I just can't see him before 1872.
I'm tending to the idea that he wasn't born in Kirkintilloch but might have thought he was, I also don't think Taylor was his name. His mother's maiden name is recorded as Parker - but I'm not sure about that one either.

Ray- Do any of the family have the middle name Robertson by any chance?

Looby :)