Author Topic: MacIntosh family from Boreray and North Uist  (Read 14788 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MacIntosh family from Boreray and North Uist
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Macdougal!

I have sent you a personal email in response to this posting. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

Looking forward to chatting about family history.

Cheers

Elsie

Offline macdougall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsie havent had one as yet will keep checking and i will also try to send you one.
macdougall
McDougall, Macdougall, McDonald, MacDonald, Thorburn

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 01:57 BST (UK) »
I have received your PM and will follow up hopefully this evening. Mmmm...wonder where my email to you has gone?

Elsie

Offline macdougall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 April 07 22:10 BST (UK) »
Elsie and I found out her husbands family and my family were connected!
We also found out Elsies father in law and my grandfather fought in ww2 and worked on the Burma railway together (they found out when they returned and also found they were related)
My grandparents had been to Elsies home in 1975!
These are just a few of the surprises we found after meeting on this message board!
Absolutely wonderful!
McDougall, Macdougall, McDonald, MacDonald, Thorburn

Offline jerryboreray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 September 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all former Boreray descendants!

I'm the present (since 1999) sole resident of Boreray.

For your information, Elsie Ellen, I can assure you that your ancestors are NOT buried here. There is a graveyard called Cladh Manach which was used only in the seventh century. There is also a mass grave at the south-eastern corner where half the crew of a Spanish Armada ship lie.

Even the MacLeans of Boreray did not bury any of their dead here. Their bodies were taken across to a mausoleum on North Uist.

It is almost certain that your forefathers will have been taken to one of the several graveyards on the adjacent shores of North Uist.

There's more information and photos of Boreray on my own website - boreray-island.co.uk

One bit of good news for you, Elsie Ellen, is that I definitely know which of the numerous house ruins was Peter McIntosh's. This is because Peter McIntosh (from Oz) was here ten years ago; he knew a story about his great grandfather drilling three holes in a boulder on the corner of his proposed house-site. He intended to dynamite it, but decided not to bother! If you'd like a photo, Elsie Ellen, just let me know.

Offline jerryboreray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, MacDougall!

I received your personal message, but I’m replying through this forum because I’m a virgin poster!

I had to stop renting out the crofthouse primarily because of crippling insurance premiums (on both house and boat ferrying); so I’m sorry not to be able to offer either anymore. There are commercial boat operators – such as Uist Outdoor Centre –  but be warned that they will want as much as £500 to bring you across.

As consolation, here are some more pics for you and Elsie. The first shows Peter McIntosh’s house on the SE corner of Loch Mor. The other is of some graffiti left on a rock south of the main beach by one of your ancestors.

Offline WildCat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 June 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am connected to Angus MacIntosh of Boreray (1781-1857) - son of Donald MacIntosh and Isabella MacDonald.  He is my great-great-grandfather.  Angus was married to Mary MacLean but he married a second time to Margaret MacKenzie (1800-1879), also of Boreray. Angus and Margaret had a daughter called Mary Ann MacIntosh ((1842?).  Mary Ann together with Donald MacDonald had a daughter in 1874 called Margaret MacDonald (known as Peggy) - she was my granny.

Offline maccavr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 August 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,
Another from Australia.  I had all but given up with my family history 4 years ago having hit brick walls but have just started again and came across this.
I would love to hear if anyone can elaborate on the MacLeans' of Boreray/North Uist.
My ancestors are as follows:
Alexander MacLean (1770-1840 approx) married Marion Monk (1779-1875)
I know they were at Croft 10 or 11 Ceathramh Meadhanach , North Uist. 
That time frame I gather was approx 1815 onwards.  Alexander had died prior to the 1841 Census 
When Alexander died I believe the croft went to the eldest son Archie (b approx 1802)
Archie married an Ann - we believe MacDonald, according to census and shipping data b ~ 1815 however know nothing more about her or their marriage details (or birth dates!) 
In 1851 Archie and Ann went to Loch Euport prior to emigrating to Australia on the "Hercules" in Dec 1852.  Only some of the family survived the journey, I have lots of information about the trip and their movements in South Australia since arriving.

Today I read something that started me exploring the MacLeans of Boreray as it is the nearest information I have found.

The only other information I have is that Alexander's mother may have been Catherine.  In the 1851 Census Marion is named with Mother in law Catherine, however Mother in Law is 3 years younger than Marion!.  May just be a transcription error.
Alexander and Marion's children were:
Archie (as above) my gg grandfather
Rachel (1811) married Angus MacLeod ... have traced through Census data
Donald (1821) know nothing about
Ann(e) (1825-1917) married Alexander MacLennan ... have traced through Census data

Would love to hear any information that may be of assistance and loved reading this thread, any photos are welcome if applicable.

Regards,
Tania,
Adelaide,
South Australia

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 August 18 03:04 BST (UK) »
It may be worth joining the facebook page?...

north uist appreciation society

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"