Author Topic: Alexander & Rachel Mc Innes census lookup  (Read 45033 times)

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander & Rachel Mc Innes census lookup
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 July 09 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hello
could I possible trouble someone to  please have a look for anything on a
Donald Mc Innes  or MacIness ???
Daughter Margaret born 1835 possibly Aird Sleat died 13 Feb 1853 at sea on the  David Malcolm
son Neil born possible  or lived Kylerhea
his wife possibly Rachel ???? possibly MacInnes ???
his brother in law was  Donald MacInnes, Harrapool, Strath too very confusing
Not sure which one  they are related to Alexander or Rachel because of the same last name  ???
He is Margaret that died father.
thankyou
regards
Jackie

Mauger, Le Pelley, Tapp, Molloy, Stephenson, Fogden,
Lawson, McInnes

Offline rosmci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 July 09 14:46 BST (UK) »
A good researcher in Victoria Australia tracked into this family a few years ago. From memory she came to the conclusion that the father of Margaret who embarked on the Hercules with Alexander and Rachel McInnes was in Aird, & her grandparents were Malcolm McInnes/Annabella McPherson of Kylerhea in Sleat, Skye. Whether she found the Margaret who stayed behind I don't know, and I'm sorry, I don't remember many details, only that a women in ?glenelg? was somehow key to it all. If you email me at rosmci at gmail  dot com I will send you Irene's contact details. Sorry about writing my email address in words,  trying to dodge spammers). Can tell you Alexander lived at #10 Heast. His parents Malcolm McInnes/Margaret Buchanan. He and his brother took over the croft in the 1840s. Rachel came from Harrapool. Rachel died at Wellington SA in 1865. One of her daughters remained in SA with her family at Tungkillo but I think the others went to Victoria when Alexander remarried at the age of 70.

Offline Meg7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Learning to type
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

Yes it is very confusing.  Margaret who jumped overboard (very, very sad) was Rachel's sister daughter (in other words Rachel's niece).  So the story about a relative taking her daughter's place is correct and something I didn't know.

Donald McInnes and Christy McInnes had three children Niel, Margaret and Myles.  Christy died and Margaret went to her grandmother (Christy) and unmarried uncle Donald.  Niel went to an uncle (Malcolm) according to the census but his death and the father Donald's death certificates give different fathers so I am not totally sure Malcolm with whom Niel lived was actually his uncle (brother of his father Donald).

Donald remarried and kept son Myles and had another family.

Meg.

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 May 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello meg

Glade to help and yes your right very confusing  ???

you wouldn't  happened to know what came of  Rachel and Alexander McInnes daughter   Margaret ( Maggie) ? by any chance it is driving me mad would appreciate any help  :-\
Jackie

Mauger, Le Pelley, Tapp, Molloy, Stephenson, Fogden,
Lawson, McInnes

Offline posterity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 July 11 04:54 BST (UK) »
Do you know the ship they were on to Australia?

Offline Meg7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Learning to type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 July 11 10:11 BST (UK) »
The "H.M.S. HERCULES"

MacINNES       ALEXANDER      43   HEAST         LORD MacDONALD
   386                  RACHEŽ              43
                          NEIL                      20
                          CATHERINE        18
                          DUNCAN             16
                          CHRISTY             14
                         ISABELLA              6
                         DONALD               4
                         MARGARET        18    Died 13-2-1853

Alexander accustomed to work in the south. Left his work six months ago to emigrate. Family has no appearance of want.Died 13 Feb 1853 Margaret MacInnes 18 from Strath, Skye. MrAlexander McInnes and his family are her nearest relations on board. In Skye, Donald MacInnes, Aird Sleat, her father. Neil MacInnes, Kylerhea, her brother, and Donald MacInnes, Harrapool, Strath, her uncle, are her nearest relations.

Family arrived in S.A. on "David Malcolm".         P/N  £19-10-6

Hope this helps.

Meg.

Offline posterity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 July 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
I thinkI had pondered over this same puzzle several years ago. Rosanne McInnes in Australia may know of Margaret from Alexander / Rachel family and whereabouts - stayed behind. Have you checked with Maggie at Clan Donald Centre Armadale Skye?
I will check my material. The 18 year old Margaret I assume died Queenstown Ireland of typhus .
There was another Margaret McInnes (related) acting as a matron on Hercules who either contracted typhus or went mad with the troubles and jumped overborad in Queenstown harbour and drowned, no doubt weighed down by her skirts. That was the story I was told.  I don't have a family tree programme just a lot of old notes and a failing memory that I was using to  put together a family story and I tend to go a bit round in circles.

Maybe you could help me, (or anyone else out there). Do you have any material on Alexander and Rachel and who their parents were by any chance. For all interested how many of the Strath / Sleat McInnes's has anyone linked and recorded including other connections with / Nicholson / McLure / Buchanan / McKenzie / McPherson / Anderson / McLeod / McAlister / Robertson / McKinnon / McLennan etc?   Regards Clint

Offline Meg7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Learning to type
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 17 July 11 02:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Clint,

Yes, I do but my main computer refused to start last week so I will get back to you on that  :-[.

Am sure Rachel's family is related to my McInnes family but no records that far back to prove it.

Cheers,

Meg.

Offline posterity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 July 11 02:57 BST (UK) »
Yeap know they are related.. It is just making the link.  Any help appreciated. You can email me on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php