Author Topic: Alexander Fraser-Inverness county any info at all would be helpful!  (Read 9645 times)

Offline jess_is_fraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Fraser-Inverness county any info at all would be helpful!
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I think I am in the right place. If not Mods shuffle me around! I am going to share every scrap of information I have from the Canadian side of things and hope someone can help me make those few missing connections in Scotland. I am hoping all the info I do have will help. THEY are from inverness I KNOW that much. Just keep in mind all I have is the Canadian info I have compiled.

Primarily I am searching for:
The names of the birth parents of my great great grandfather and grandmother
-boar war info on my great great grandfather. (which I THINK I have located on findmypast.co.uk but am waiting for a way to pay for the records)
-I am looking to locate a body berried in Inverness I would like to bring him home someday to lay to rest here in Canada with his parents. Or just locate it at the least
-ANY INFORMATION on Fraser's maybe connected to my Alexander Fraser or Margaret Patterson both Inverness!

Alexander Fraser Married to Margaret Fraser(Patterson) Inverness, Invernessshire. The info I have on Alexander Fraser is much more then on Margaret so will focus the info I have on him.

Alexander Fraser
This picture is WW1 he served with the Seaforth Highlanders 145th

born June 12 1878 Inverness, Invernessshire, Scotland.

First document I have is this from https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KSD7-V5F:
Alexander Fraser in household of Alexander Fraser, "Scotland Census, 1891"

This indicates to me that his father must have also been Alexander Fraser which almost wants to make me rip my hair out because though I UNDERSTAND the use of traditional names it makes searches HARD .  It also narrows down birthplaces and makes me feel better about paying to get war records.

The next paper work I have is his attestation papers for WW1. Stating he served with the Seaforth in Scotland for 5 years. The only reason I can tell his papers were not destroyed because after 5 years he must have received monetary exchange of SOME sort because the only records that were not desultory on discharge of boar war were those who received pensions.

ALL I have info wise about the boar war related to Alexander is as follows:
-Served for 5 years
-Was Calvary
-and this number WO128 Yeomanry

THEY immigrated at the end of the boar war from bogbain, Invernesshire, Scotland. I HAVE the picture of the house with the dirt floor they lived in just not scanned apparently.

The ship was NOT a passenger ship I know that much and I know they brought children.
So it was Alexander Fraser his wife Margaret Fraser (Patterson born 1899)
Their children
Margaret Fraser 15(oldest)
Johnny(John) Fraser
Jimmy(James) Fraser Year of birth 1912(Scotland) Death (Canada)1977
Charles(Charlie) Fraser( 6 years old at time of death I believe his body is in Scotland but his name is on my great great grandparents tomb stone 1905-1912) I would like to find the location at some point if he is in Scotland and bring the body home if at all possible though know there would not be much left to bring.

DO NOT know the name of the ship.The year was 1914 and came through Saint John, New Brunswick and than to Dorchestor, New Brunswick.

Alexander enlisted in WW1 I have his attestation papers as follows:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=400250&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=4fadl138lt2fh94a2pllcghnt4

I think in the end however I AM looking at this point for ANY information AT ALL. and I know they have heavy ties to Inverness County.

Moderator comment - cut & paste removed , copyright image removed and replaced with link.
Cranton-populated canada by Robert Cranton Jr.
Goodwin-?
Fraser-bogbain, Scotland, invernessshire

Roots mean much more then who you are, the past is much more then just a past, it is a story and a beautiful one at that.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fraser-Inverness county any info at all would be helpful!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you could harden up some of your information by taking a look at ScotlandsPeople:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There's a Charles Fraser there who died in 1899 in Inverness aged 9.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi , and welcome to RootsChat  :)

When and where did Alexander Fraser die ?
Would his death certificate have details of his parents ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jess_is_fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Fraser died and is barried in Dorchestor, New Brunswick. He died of wounds sustained in WW1 shrapnel poisining at home in Canada. I may have found the name oh his ship. His bith certificate may be of more use at this point.
Goodwin-?

Roots mean much more then who you are, the past is much more then just a past, it is a story and a beautiful one at that.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 13 16:41 GMT (UK) »
As you can imagine Alexander Fraser is a very common name in Scotland , how would you know if you had his correct birth or marriage certificates ?
His marriage cert. should give you the names of his parents and there is a marriage in Inverness in
1897 on Scotlandspeople that looks promising  :-\

Will hunt around a bit more and see if I can find anything else.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 February 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 February 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Also posted on Canada Board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,636174.0.html

Alexander Fraser - Birth June 12,1878 in Inverness, Inverness-shire   Death Dec 22, 1922 in  Baie Vert, Westmoreland, New Brunswick, Canada
Margaret Paterson Birth abt 1877 in Inverness, Invernes-shire   Death 1963 in  Westmorland, New Brunswick, Canada.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jess_is_fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 13 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Now have death certificate parents listed as follows "unable to obtain" at least I am making some progress.
Goodwin-?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 February 13 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra  :)

Can't see a 1922 death for Alexander , should it be the one in 1925 ?(the one that does not name
his wife or parents  ::) )

I should have pointed out in the last post that although we have a birth date for Alexander , you
can only search Scotlandspeople by birth year.

ev