Author Topic: Looking for Margaret McNAUGHT, born c1826 in Castle Douglas  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for Margaret McNAUGHT, born c1826 in Castle Douglas
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 02:15 BST (UK) »
I am searching for a birth, marriage or death registration for Margaret McNaught (c1826).  What I have so far is Margaret McNaught on the 1841 Kelton census (15 yrs) living with her sister Jane Henderson in Cotton Street, Castle Douglas.  I also have found her in every census up to 1891.  She married William Macmurray in 1853 in Castle Douglas (found on her daughter's birth registration- Catherine Macmurray (1855)) and was listed as deceased on her daughter's death registration - Margaret (Macmurray) Butt in Leith in 1915).  It seems odd that there doesn't seem to be any parish record available for her, but she is mentioned in other family members records.  Is anyone able to help or suggest a solution?
Best regards
Rob
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret McNAUGHT, born c1826 in Castle Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Have you looked up her death on Scotlands People which will give you her parents names and mothers maiden name

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole
Yes, most of my research ends up with the mandatory downloading of the 'confirmatory' OPR, etc from Scotlands People (must be a major share holder by now).  As recently as yesterday, I was on there tweaking the search parameters in search of Margaret McNaught; but with no luck.  Although, I did find her son James Alexander Macmurray's marriage to Agnes Crocket.  Now there's a famous surname.  Samuel R Crockett (author) was born in Balmaghie, Kirkcudbrightshire.  Don't know if we are connected!  Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Best regards
Rob

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob.

I cannot help you with details of Margaret, but this may be of some help regarding her husband and some children.
There is a headstone at Kelton cemetery which I have copied out below.

Memoriam.

Agness Grace Daughter of
William MacMurray,Painter.
Castle Douglas,who Died there 10th Feb,
1879 aged 19 years and 4 months.
Also the said William MacMurray who died at
Castle Douglas on the 22nd of July 1883 aged 58 years.
Also John,Son of the above William MacMurray,
who died at Castle Douglas 19th Feb 1890 aged 28 years.
Also James A MacMurray,his Eldest Son,who
died at Castle Douglas 27th Jan 1929 aged 74 years.
Also Agnes Crocket, wife of the above
James A MacMurray, died at Castle Douglas
25th August 1943, aged 84 years.

As you have Williams date of death, if you get his death record from SP it should show
if he was still married. If he was its possible that Margaret his wife re married.
Rgds  Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
Good to hear from you.  William Macmurray's death registration states that he was "Married to Margaret McNaught".  I therefore deduced that Margaret was still alive at that stage (1883).  The latest evidence of Margaret I could find was in the 1891 Kelton census where she was living alone (had a 10 year old visitor) at 124 King Street & was a 65 year old painter's widow.  Definitely not listed in the 1901 census.  Not sure where to turn next!
Thanks again for the MIs.
Rob

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 February 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
If he was its possible that Margaret his wife re married.
Have you checked to see if Margaret married after the 1891 census?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 15 02:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if OP has managed to establish Margaret's parents yet??

From an online tree referring to her sister Jane McNaught who married a James Cunningham Henderson ca.1839 it seems their parents were a George McNaught and Catherine Garmory.   No sources were given so did a little digging and this would indeed appear to be the case.

The tree I looked at states George McNaught bc.1778 died 17/6/1842 Castle Douglas (he is an Innkeeper in Kelton in 1841).   He is shown to have married a Rebekah Herries 19/11/1799 Buittle, Kirkcudbrightshire who died at Castle Douglas 8/9/1807 and then remarried to Catherine Garmory (I can't trace this).   However, Catherine McNaught's death certificate has been posted - she died in Castle Douglas on 5/4/1859 and the informant of her death was William Macmurray, son in law!

Mind you, OP might know all this already and it could even be their tree I looked at!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 15 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette
It may well have been my tree you were looking at.  I have well established Margaret McNaught's parentage and traced her husband William Macmurray's history, but still haven't been able to find her death registration on ScotlandsPeople.   I haven't looked for it recently & so armed with the information that you have so generously provided, I will search again for her death on ScotlandsPeople.
Thanks again
Rob

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 15 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette
Unfortunately I misread your post & thought you were giving me the death date for Margaret McNaught & not her mother Catherine Garmory & thought that 1859 as a typo & should have been 1895.  Yes, I do have the death registration for Catherine (ms Garmory) McNaught.  It's the birth, marriage (to George McNaught) & death registrations for Margaret (ms McNaught) Macmurray I was hoping to find.
Thanks again
Rob