Author Topic: Sweny of Dublin  (Read 62421 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sweny of Dublin
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 March 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
One detail to add to this .... whatever about the reporting of an incident in an article in the Irish Times, there were many other Dublin newspapers that may mention the event. Entries in the Births Marriage & Deaths sections were requested and paid for by the families concerned. Some families would not use these notices, and most that did would stick to a specific paper. e.g. one family of my ancestors included many notices in the Times, another only used the Independent. Others have no notices that I can find.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Ken
Can you confirm if Henry Cope Sweeney is the son of John Sweeney, brother to Eugene (1752)  who was b abt 1753
If so he married a Katherine Alice Cope daughter of Henry Cope of Castlegal Co Sligo  about 1774
Liverpool- Cooper, McAllister, Sleddon.
Wicklow, Farrelly.
Oldham, Smethurst. Wilde.
Norwich. Yallop. Bolingbroke.
Ireland. Halpin, Paget, Sweny, Yeates, Faulkner?

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
To Bray,
Henry Cope Sweeny b. abt 1794 was the son of John Sweeny, who married 1779 Cath. Alice Cope, (dau of Henry Cope, barrister)
John Sweeny was the son & heir of Alderman Michael Sweeny 1713-1765.
Michael's brother was John Sweeny, whose son was Eugene ca 1750-1790.
Eugene the coachmaker 1785-1872 was his son.
So, Cath Alice Cope was Henry Cope Sweeny's mother, and John Sweeny, her husband, was a cousin of Eugene snr.
Ken

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 March 10 02:07 GMT (UK) »
kc

Re your No.26.At one time the licence from the Apothecary's Hall entitled the holder to practice medicine(subject to taking a further exam.?) similar to holders of licences from the other Medical Schools. I believe that this dated from the Medical Registration Act 1858 which was passed to prevent unqualified persons from practicing medicine.

Regards    Quaxer

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 March 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Quaxar,
What I had heard was that Dr Mark Sweny first practised as an apothecary, then opened a medical practice. Also, that in his later years, he used the premises as a chemist's shop.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Getting back to my first post- I'm trying to trace present day descendants of John Paget Sweny 1811-1883, father of 14 children.
John’s first child, Eugene, born 1836, went into ‘holy orders’. He graduated from Trinity College, Dublin as Bachelor of Arts in 1859 and was ordained deacon in 1862. He went to Donegal to take up his post at Inniskeel, firstly as curate from 1862 to 1869, then as rector until 1883. He took his Master of Arts in 1876.
He married in Donegal in 1866 Elizabeth Barbara, daughter of Revd. James Ovens of Donegal. They had six children:
Emily Teresa Grace 1868, James Montgomery Ovens 1869, Georgiana Charlotte Frederica 1871, William Halpin Paterson 1872, John Charles Coote 1872, Shapland Arthur 1877.
In 1883 they moved to Norfolk, England, where Eugene took up the position of Rector of Morston and Stiffkey (pron. ‘stewkey’) .  His son Arthur died there in 1889, and his wife  Elizabeth in 1902. Eugene held the position until his death in 1906. (n.b. he was not the infamous rector- that was his successor)
Rev. Eugene’s first son James died in UK in 1916. John, the third son, went first to Canada, then to the U.S. He mar Alice Reeves 1901 and they had 3 ch: Sydney Charles d.1966 Ohio, Kathleen Vera d.1981 Mass. & Ethel 05-07
Emily married Granville Edwards, and moved to New York, son Eric G.;  Georgiana married Dean Shute of New Zealand, where they lived, but they later divorced, dau Rona Irene 1899.
The second son, William became a ship’s officer with the P.& O. Line. When he married Adele Pearson in 1895, his address was the S.S. Khedive, Royal Albert Dock, in East London. They had one son, Noel, born in 1901 who may have been a police sergeant of Belfast in 1929.
Ken

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 02:28 GMT (UK) »
John Paget Sweny's third son, ABRAHAM was bapt. 9.9.1847. He was shown as 21 in the US census of 1870 in Yonkers, New York. Most of the family came back to Ireland a few years later, but there is no further trace of Abraham there. Now I've just found an entry in 1880, in Yonkers, for Abram Sweeney, 29 years old, born Ireland, (both parents Irish) and wife Mary. He was a bookkeeper.  No trace of a marriage though, but it sounds like our Abraham. Ken

Offline brn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 March 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
All help appreciated, Bren

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 March 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brn,
It's too late for petitions I'm afraid.
The premises, now dilapidated, have been threatened with demolition to make way for a cinema. It seemed that a recent protest movement, in which  over 100 people, Swenys and others, including myself, signed the petition ‘on-line’, had given the shop a reprieve.
My suggestion was to keep the shop as it was, and turn it into a sub-branch
of the Tourist Bureau, (still selling lemon-scented soap of course). Unfortunately, the Irish Times reported, on 19.6.2009 that Pauline Quinn had closed the shop. It seems that the building will be preserved, but the chemist shop will never open again.
By the way, I couldn't get anywhere with your link.
Cheers,
Ken