Author Topic: Henry Elliott SMITH x 2, Father and Son  (Read 15886 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Elliott SMITH x 2, Father and Son
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
taking a step to more recent connections for minute - what does John Wesley Smith's marriage cert show for father's details ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Here are the children you've listed- William 1868, Ida 1870, Florence 1872, Lily 1876 and John 1878. Are there exact dates of birth in your grandmother's notes?
There is no birth registration for an Ida Smith anywhere in Ireland in 1870 (searched 1870-1879).
One registration for a Florence Smith in 1872 (Dublin North)- Florence Edith Smith.
Lily (no births for Lily Smith in 1876) could be a nickname for Elizabeth and William and John would bring up many possiblities.
Thanks aghadowey, Lily was Lady Lily Anderson CBE, wife of Sir Robert Anderson of Londonderry, Florence married a Mr Semple, Ida Isobel (aka Idabel) never married but lived with her sister Lily, and John's DOB was 9 September 1878, but I don't have much else. I will go through Grandma's notes again and talk again with my last auntie who met them whilst a child, and get back to you tomorrow.
Terry
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:48 BST (UK) »
Looks like Lily married Robert Newton Anderson-

ANDERSON, Sir Robert Newton, Knt... of Gortecar House, Co. Fermanagh; b. 1871; in. 1903 Lily E., dau. of Henry Elliott Smith, Esq., of Dublin. see here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
May have found something important- was Florences' husband named James Blackwell Semple and did they have a son called James Wesley Semple?

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
May have found something important- was Florences' husband named James Blackwell Semple and did they have a son called James Wesley Semple?

In the family he was known only as Jim, and he and Florrie had two sons, one of whom was known as "Wesley" and the other if my memory serves me well was "Lloyd". The family migrated to Western Australia possibly in the early 1900's. I have yet to track them down.
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
taking a step to more recent connections for minute - what does John Wesley Smith's marriage cert show for father's details ?

Shane

Shane, all I have for the marriage is a photograph of the record of the Parish Church of Drumachose (Limavady) which records the wedding of John W Smith and Ada (Adeline) Cunningham on 23 July 1913. His father is listed as "Henry Elliott Smith, Accountant deceased".
Terry

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
Looks like Lily married Robert Newton Anderson-

ANDERSON, Sir Robert Newton, Knt... of Gortecar House, Co. Fermanagh; b. 1871; in. 1903 Lily E., dau. of Henry Elliott Smith, Esq., of Dublin. see here
Yes, that is the one. They lived in Victoria Street, Londonderry and then moved to Deanfield House, also in Derry. He had woollen mills I think, and his son Albert ("Bertie") was later Mayor of Derry.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Florence married a Mr Semple....

possible 1911 census record for James (Jim?) Semple, Florence & son  James Wesley Blackwell - Casimir Rd, Rathgar 

Shane

(tnx A)
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Right, 1911 census lists her as Florence Henrietta Semple age 32 (c1879)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rathmines___Rathgar_West/Casimir_Road/64663/
Ages in census can be off by a few years but here's her birth I found much earlier in this thread-
Children of Henry Elliott Smith and Isabella Anne Browne listed in IGI (www.familysearch.org)-
5. Florence Henrietta born 11 Sept.1876 Ireland