Author Topic: 1851 Dublin Census  (Read 4523 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Dublin Census
« on: Friday 14 June 13 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Am looking for a James Magrath (McGrath) born 1825 of Richard and Anne - address 'Off Lane'
Married Mary Ann Murtha (Murtagh) 1849 St Marys Pro Cathedral. Think her father was Patrick.
By 1853 at son Richard's birth they are at 47 Jervis st. James is a bookbinder.

As far as I can tell both these addresses are city centre, so am hoping he, and/or father Richard, may be in the 'head of household' census in 1851 - I see it is on findmypast - but seemingly that bit is not accessible through the libraries here. Also on Origins.net if anybody has a subscription going.

Many thanks
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Dublin Census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 June 13 07:52 BST (UK) »
To look at any records on FindMyPast you need a subscription!
Or you can buy credits. 100 credits costs €9.95, £8.95 or $13.95.
Each view costs (I think) 5 credits?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 June 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
In Thom's 1852 47 Jervis street is listed as Matthew Dunne, tailor'. There could have been rented out accommodation over the shop where your Magraths lived.

In the 1850 edition Matthew shares the address with a solicitor named William Egan.

Off Lane was between Henry Street and Moore Street, so not far from Jervis street, and most of the street was tenements.  No Magraths or bookbinders listed - just two Hay & Straw dealers, a furniture porter, a chimney sweep and a lock-smith.

Also checked the bookbinders  in several of the 1850s trades index listing - no sign of a Magrath, but a 'possible' for where your Magrath worked - an 'E.  Moore, 61 Jervis Street, bookbinder'
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Did you resolve this? Would be interested as I have a William Magrath b1865 Dublin who was a bookbinder.
Also, maybe same family, at 44 Jervis St for a long time was a Wm Magrath, apothecary.
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 14 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Are you looking for help with your tree or are you just trying to contact the original poster ?

Tara

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 14 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi iem
I never did get very far with this.
I did look at some of the entries for both James and Richard in 1851, but I got nothing.
The entries on FindMyPast are just transcriptions, and they don’t give any occupations at all, so as you can imagine there were quite a lot of possible James Magraths , and if even if you could find the right one, there was no other information on the transcription – no age , family, anything – so no help at all in trying to trace anybody.
Dead ends really.

I have found several children of James and Mary Anne. Their eldest son was William Magrath born about 1850 in Dublin.(perhaps William was James' grandfather's name?).
By 1861 the whole family lives in Warrington – they must have moved there between 1853 and 1857 (more children born in Warrington), where James is a ‘bookbinder and paper cutter’, and by 1871 both James, his son William, and a younger son John aged 14 are all bookbinders.

Sorry I can’t be of any more help – perhaps they were related somewhere!
Looking at all the names and information you mention, I can’t see any connections. As I say, the Magraths I have came to Warrington, and then stayed in the area.

Happy hunting!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 14 09:53 BST (UK) »
Ah, well, another dead end!  I think so many jobs in the C19 must have been given on the basis of pure patronage and families tended to cluster ... every straw is worth clutching at ....
Thanks anyway  :)
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin