Author Topic: Daniel Marriott aka Reuben Watts, Hawick, 1855-92  (Read 2862 times)

Offline GordonM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Marriott aka Reuben Watts, Hawick, 1855-92
« on: Sunday 15 January 06 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Just joined and your community looks really helpful.  I'm trying to find out (from faraway Oz) abt my ancestor, Daniel Marriott, known in most of his public correspondence as Reuben Watts, who settled in Hawick between the 1851 census and the birth of a son in 1855, and died there in 1892.

A nuisance to many, he tried to improve the lot of prisoners, the poor, etc, but his one-man crusade against the Common Riding had a reason: he lost a son in an accident at one year's Riding.  David lived 1855 to 1863, Daniel (b. 1857) lived until 1909, but George (again) died at the age of 8, in 1863 - June.

So I'm assuming it was George who was killed.  Can anyone tell me anything about them, MIs (Daniel at least was buried at Wellogate), census returns, obits.  I have birth certs for 2 of Daniel's children, his death certificate and a chapter from "Hawick Characters" (1903) about his 'crusades' - that's all for a man who sounds so colourful, and would be very grateful if anyone could help.
taa, Gordon   

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Marriott aka Reuben Watts, Hawick, 1855-92
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 January 06 19:19 GMT (UK) »

hi Gordon,

Not sure how much of this info you will already have but I found this site http://www.familyorigins.com/users/v/a/n/Craig--Van-mourik/FAMO1-0001/d3122.html    which details Daniels family.

:)