Author Topic: McCollum/Wright (Craig) in Carnlough  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
McCollum/Wright (Craig) in Carnlough
« on: Monday 11 June 12 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I'm trying to find out more about my great great grandfather Samuel McCollum, his wife Mary Wright and their children.  I don't know Samuel or Mary's dates of birth, marriage or death.  Samuel was resident at Drumnacross in 1880 as per his daughter's Marriage Certificate and Mary was resident at Drumnacross in 1890 as she was present at my grandfather's (James Craig) birth.

They had three girls that I know of.

Ellen, born 1851, doesn't appear to have married and was still living at Drumnacross in 1916 as she paid rent to Lord Vane Tempest.

Mary (my great grandmother), born 1855 married James Craig in Glenarm Presbyterian Church in 1880 and died at Highlandtown about 1932.  She had six children: Alexander, Mary, Hugh, Ann Jane. James (my grandfather) and Ellen or Nellie.

Sarah, born 1862 emigrated to Western Australia, where she married and her only son later died in a motorbike accident.  She died in Cottesloe, Western Australia in 1941.

I know nothing of Samuel McCollum's parents or siblings.  Similarly, I know nothing of Mary McCollum nee Wright's background, so any help with either would be welcome.

With regards to Mary and James Craig's children I know the following.

Alex was still living in Highlandtown at the time of the 1911 Census.  Mary married James Morrow in 1906, but I don't know much about what became of her five children.  Hugh was a sailor and farmer who once again I can't trace past the 1911 Census.  Ann Jane married someone called McKillop, that's as much as I know.  James married my grandmother, Betty McAlister and had two children, my mother Joan and her brother Alex.  Nellie may have married someone called Newell and gone to New Zealand, but I'm not very sure about that.

If you can help me fill in any of the gaps I would be most grateful.  All snippets of information are welcome.

Kind regards
Christopher Barnes
Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCollum/Wright (Craig) in Carnlough
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   24 Dec 1918 William John Kerr Newell married Nellie Craig in Larne First Presbyterian Church. Bride's father was named James.
  However there is another marriage on 3 Jan 1919 where Thomas Steenson married Nellie Craig in Glenarm Presbyterian Church, Larne District. In this case I cannot determine the Father's name.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you kingkerswell

The first one sounds spot on and will allow me to revisit the New Zealand thread now I know the groom's full name.

The second one is also in my tree; Nellie and Thomas Steenson had a son Alex (Alexander Craig Steenson 1919-1989), whom I remember well from my childhood.  He had the deepest of Glens accents and was always 'good for a yarn'.  More importantly for me, he wrote a very comprehensive Craig family tree which has proven invaluable.

All the best
Christopher

Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline erinmcallister

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 October 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher, I see that you have not been online for a while so Im unsure if you will get this message. My great great great grandfather was John McCollum of Drumnacross, Glenarm. I know very little about him despite having visited the townland recently. I am not sure if the McCollums you speak of are related but I wanted to get in touch in case there was a link.Erin

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
If you search https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ from 1880 for the death of Samuel McCollum, the first possibility at an age which fits, is the death of a Samuel on 29 November 1906 aged 74 and registered in Ballycastle.  It is pay per view to see the full record.

A possibility but of course there are quite a few families of that name in the area.

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 October 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin - thanks for the reply.  They might well be the same person, though I don't know that for sure.  Many thanks, Chris
Cook in Hampshire