Author Topic: Alexander Phillips  (Read 6510 times)

Offline sue mackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Phillips
« on: Monday 30 December 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
HI Can anyone shed some light if at all possible..

I am at a a standstill I have found my ancestor William Phillips born 1796 in Pembroke I am looking for his parents..The name Alexander Phillips born 1776 has come up however I cannot find any record of this..Bromon parish in Pembroke he is giving as his birth place, I cannot find any Alexander birth at that time apart from one in Warickshire..Really confused now as I have tried different names..

Kind Regards

Sue :'(

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Phillips
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue-I've had a look for your ancestors on Familysearch and Rootschat and there are several William Phillips in born in 1796 and one Alexander Phelps in about 1766.
I then looked on Ancestry and think I've found the records you've looked at.
I can't find a Bromon on the map-I don't think it exists, it's possibly a mistrancription. I couldn't read the original but it's worth trying  to find out because it will give you a few more clues. Do you have any other census records?
The connection with father Alexander may just be someone's guess-Ancestry is full of them!
Your best bet is to try to narrow down William's place of birth, then there is a chance you may find a birth record and his parents' names.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline sue mackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 13 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Thanks for looking..Yes I thought Alexander was a guess someone made as there is nothing to back it up..Is there another way to connect children with their parents in 1800's before the census, or is it just having to get birth certificates as the ones I have been looking at dont tell you the parents name a lot of the time online..It is really frustrating im going around in circles with nothing to show for it ..And if I dont go by Williams birth place how do I connect another william as him as by the time the census started he was well into adulthood and was married..

Thanks

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
The nearest I have found is a "William Phillips son of David and Anne born the 28th August 1797 and baptized  on the 28th September 1797 at the Ebenezer Chapel Newport Pembrokeshire. There seem to be an awful lot of William Phillips in Pembrokeshire.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline sue mackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 December 13 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou I will look into that..Your not kidding when you say there are a lot of William Phillips born the all on the same date..Mind blowing trying to sort through them..

Thanks again

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 December 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I believe that the 'Bromon' that has been transcribed is completely incorrect.   The first group of entries on that page all show the same birthplace but the very top 2 entries belong to a family on the previous page.    The previous page is much clearer and the actual birthplace is supposed to be 'County of Pembroke, Camrose Parish', Camrose being where they are living. 

Where does William state he was born on the census?   Where have you found him?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue mackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 December 13 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I will take a look as the census he is down as camrose so that makes sense..William on all 3 census records sate he was born in Haycastle Pembroke..

Thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 December 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see by googling, Hayscastle parish records don't seem to exist prior to 1800 and seems doubt that earlier records have survived. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue mackenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 December 13 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks thats what I have been doing Googling  to see if I could get the parish records..Just have to think of something else.

Thanks