Author Topic: Too many Morgans!  (Read 11186 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Too many Morgans!
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
I am having another go at trying to trace my ancestor David Walter Morgan b.1732-3 died 1795 who was priest in ordinary at the Chapel Royal,Westminster.He lived at St.James Palace and has a plaque in Westminster Abbey.His cambridge and Oxford University records give his father as William of St.Georges,Southwark.I thought I had found a record for David Walter Morgan bapt.1733 St.George the Martyr but have been unable to re find it.I have found a record for David Morgan b.16th Jan 1732 St.James,Westminster son of William and Martha.There is also a marriage of William Morgan and Martha Wood 15th May 1731 St.James,Westminster.William Morgan had a brother John Morgan who died 1778.He was rector of Little Leighs in Essex until his death and was succeded in this post by his nephew David.I am trying to establish a link possibly by marriage with the wealthy Olmius family who were patrons of the Morgans.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Too many Morgans!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:38 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=578428.0
This is the topic where Valda had provided Bap details for 1733(34).

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Looks like that same child's baptism was recorded in 2 registers:

David Walter MORGAN - bap 22 Feb 1733-1734, St George the Martyr Surrey
Son of William MORGAN, Eliz'th MORGAN

David Walter MORGAN - bap 21 Feb 1733, St Mary Magdalen, Southwark
Son of Wm & Eliz.MORGAN

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 13 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Ambly
Thanks for reminding me of that previous posting.There is a marriage of William Morgan to Elizabeth Bullock in 1717 at St.James Palace Chapel.She could have been a descendant of Edward Bullock (1663--1705) High Sheriff of Essex.There is also a marriage of William Morgan to Elizabeth Whitlock in 1722 at St.Martin in the Fields,Westminster.William Morgan is proving extremely elusive.It is a shame he did not have a more distinctive name.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 13 07:39 BST (UK) »
Have been looking at Sir Edward Bullock (1663--1705) He married Elizabeth Guyon in 1690 at Coggeshall and Mary Child in 1692.at St.Botolph,Aldgate.Hoping to find a daughter Elizabeth.The Elizabeth Bullock who may have married William Morgan could have been born between 1690 and 1701 as the marriage was in 1717

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 08:32 BST (UK) »
I seem to be stuck again with the Morgans! I believe that William Morgan had a clergyman brother John who was rector of Little Leighs,Essex.He died in 1778.I have found details of a will for a John Morgan who died 1778 so suppose I could take a chance and send off for it.As I do not know when William Morgan died so cannot look for his will as his name is too common.I have been unable to find any records of clergymen which are any help.Myself and others have found the Oxford and Cambridge University records for David Walter Morgan.I thought of looking for university records for John Morgan but cannot find anything on FindMyPast.Perhaps it is Ancestry who have the university records?

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 13 17:07 BST (UK) »
Have just received a copy of the will of John Morgan of Marylebone,Middlesex died 1778.I don`t think he is "my" John Morgan! He is not referred to as the "Reverend John Morgan",Would a clergyman always be given the title reverend in legal documents such as wills and in death records?He mentions his wife Elizabeth and a friend whose name appears as a witness.I was led to believe that he was David Morgan`s uncle by BananaDoctor.PLEASE tell me how you know that!Also that he was the same John Morgan who was a Barrister at Law and who I have found giving legal advice to Robert Walpole and also some dealings which sound possibly corrupt involving an MP Lord Waltham who I am keen to link with the Morgans.Is it possible for a clergyman to also be a Barrister at Law?It does not sound very likely to me.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 June 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
He is not referred to as the "Reverend John Morgan",Would a clergyman always be given the title reverend in legal documents such as wills and in death records?

At that date, a clergyman's will is likely to describe the testator as John Morgan, clerk.

(I'm afraid I can't comment on your other points, as I haven't been following the thread.)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 June 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info.I had noticed that David Walter Morgans`s marriage entry descibed him as David Morgan,clerk, and wonder why he was described in that way.