Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 106975 times)

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
Patricia, had a look at the grave transcriptions and there are no Dickson or Spalding stones, I've not checked the communion records just yet but will get back to you as soon as I can.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
This is a sad post :(
It seems that one of our grave stones has been stolen!
If anyone has a photo of the stone I am about to describe then please send me a copy, so I can report the theft to the authorities.
The stone a 6ft high polished marble stood to the left of the Kirk as you enter the gates. It was dedicated to the family of Edward Mcbey (Lang Ned) who was the cox of Johnshaven life boat. it listed his family, the last entry being his youngest son Alfred who's surname was spelt McBay, who died in the first world war.
It was last seen approx. 12/13 years ago.

Here's hoping
Jean

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Craig

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
I was in the Benholm Kirk two weeks ago checking MCBAY/BEY stones.
I was told by Eileen Townsend (distant cousin) who lives in Johnshaven to go and see this stone,
She came with me to point out where it should be and was astonished to find that it was gone.
She told me she used to visit the Kirk occasionally to have a chat with Edward, she believes the last
visit was about 3/4 years ago and she will make it her duty to look into the missing stone.
Perhaps you could liase with her.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
It was Eileen who pointed the missing stone out to me. I have photos dated 2002 and the stone had gone by then, so we're unsure when it was actually taken.

Jean

Craig

Offline Leon_Rob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Leon, I see a message looks like October 2010 No 58.
It refers to the Benholm Kirkyard and there is a mention of a William GOVE who died 9 Mar 1875. then it looks like w Margt wamm died 1889.
Firstly is it possible that the wife's name is Elizabeth maiden name was WATT she died 27th June 1889.
William and other children James & David all went to Australia and lived near Sale, Victoria Australia. James was married in 1858 in Sale. William married in Sale in 1863. Daughter Helen was present at her fathers death in 1875 and she was the informant. David was the informant of his mothers death in 1889. He with his wife Janet nee JACKSON travelled to Australia between the Census of 1891 and 1893 when his son John was born in Sale December 1893. He and his brothers James and William all owned farms near Sale. We are not sure of what happened to daughter Elizabeth Law GOVE or Andrew GOVE. They may be the 2 infants the died.
Secondly, Is there a photo of the headstone referred to in your correspondence? 
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Leon, Sydney Australia.

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Leon,

I'll check that post to the pre 1855 gravestone index, I may possibly have typed it wrong!

And get back to you as soon as possible.

Jean

Craig

Offline Leon_Rob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 02:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean for your prompt reply,
I hope you are able to clarify things for me.
My childhood and youth days were spent in the Sale district, but left there in 1962.
Ann Margaret GOVE was the daughter of John Lawson GOVE and Hilda CAWTHORN. John is the son of David GOVE & Janet nee JACKON. Ann married a Noel FREEMAN. I am trying to put together the history of the GOVE'S for the children of Ann. I am also in contact with the descendants of James GOVE the older brother of David. James GOVE married an English lady in Sale by the name of Ellen WOOLMER. She had a son Julius born in London. He became well known in the Melbourne district as a Horse Exporter to India. Julius born Julius Wolff WOOLMER may or may not have been James' son although Julius took on the name of GOVE when he sailed to Australia. Julius lived with his mum Ellen and James for a number of years on a property known as "Glencoe" near Sale. Sorry to bore you with these details. But sometimes it is interesting to know a little of what became of people after they left their homeland.
Thanks for your assistance.
Leon

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 00:16 BST (UK) »
The surname is down as "Wam" in the MI index, but Familysearch has "Elisabeth Watt" as the bride for William's marriage of third December 1830.

Is it possible that the stolen stone mentioned earlier could have been photographed for this site?

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nescotland/index.html

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Leon,

Yes, it is down in the pre1855 gravestone index as Wamm, I'll get to the kirkyard this week-end and get a photo for you.

Becky, I have already checked with Colin on the site you listed, the stone was not there, when he photographed the stones in the kirkyard.

Jean

Craig