Author Topic: Trying to Find a birth of Freddie Stewart about 1917  (Read 8718 times)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to Find a birth of Freddie Stewart about 1917
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
This is an intriguing loss, and the following details are from "Even The Birds Were Walking" by Kington & Rackliff Halifax C/157 LK962 "On 14 November 1944, Halifax C/157, Skipper F/O W H A Jones DFC, returned from an EPICURE B sortie, and was overhead Brawdy at 19.20 hours. However, the crew were unable to land because of a severe thunderstorm in the area. They were insructed by Flying Control to stand-off until conditions improved, but subsequent contact with the aircraft was lost due to heavy static and very poor R/T and W/T communications. The aircraft did not return and the fllowing day it was spotted floating in the Bristol Channel, not far from Lundy Island, but there was no sign of the crew. Remarkably, the aircraft was still afloat the following day and the RN decided to sink it, since it posed a threat to navigation. No one knows why it stayed afloat for so long. The whole thing was a mystery, particularly as there were no sign of the crew However, in the squadron ORB there is an entry for 2 Feb 1945, under casualties. This states 'Sgt D T Mulligan (MAO) previously reported missing from C/157 on 14 Nov 1944, now reported killed in action' It appears that the body of Sgt Mulligan was washed ashore on a Lancashire beach not far from Woodvale. No date is given but we have to assume it would be some time in January. Later access to the crew list and casualty cards revealed the following details: WO E Poole 2nd Pilot: Signal from squadron 'Body found at sea by trawler and re-buried at sea, 13 Dec 1944' WO J D Rice, WOp/AG: Body washed ashore at Red Wharf Bay near Portreath Sgt D T Mulligan MAO, Body washed ashore on a Lancashire beach (near Woodvale) some six weeks later F/O W H A Jones DFC Skipper: Assumed lost at sea Sgt A B Mason F/Eng: Assumed lost at sea F/Lt F C W Stewart WOp/AG: Assumed lost at sea F/Lt R H Dodsworth, Navigator: Assumed lost at sea WO E S Bruton WOp/AG: Assumed lost at sea"

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a small paragraph in the Yorkshire post and Leeds Intelligencer dated 22 Dec 1944.
Not a lot more info really. Have sent a pm
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
I guess my next question is my first question where was he born ??? :-[

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wouldn't rule out the Scottish birth. Unfortunately 1918 births are to recent to view online but can be viewed in person at a number of locations in Scotland. I would start a new topic asking if anyone going to Scotlandspeople Centre in Edinburgh could look up the registration to see if it is him. The registration would give his parents names and should give where and when they married.

Andy

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Can anyone check or know how I'm able to check out a street in Leeds in the 1911 census.
I have Ancestry as a search tool.
The street in question is Stanmore Road,Burley,Leeds

Thanks also to andycand I will checkout Scotland

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
If you search ONLY the England 1911 census, under advanced search is Street Address!

So, Search, Census & Electoral Rolls;
1911 England & Wales Census Collection;
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and select 1911 England Census
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
I hope you find what you are looking for in 1911.  However there is obviously a long gap between that census and the address being cited in December 1944, so if you draw a blank in Stanmore Road in 1911 it may be worth your while trying to find the family at that address in Leeds electoral rolls and/or directories for the 1930s-1950s. 

They may be at WYAS, though I have not checked in their catalogue:

http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/

Other Rootchatters on this board may well know more about how to find such records.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
I don't know if I've stumbled upon the right family or whether they are just 'red herrings'.

Charles W A Stewart   bc.1877 died Mar.qtr.1946   Leeds

I believe this is Charles William Adams Stewart born 1876 Greenock, Renfrewshire.   There are 2 entries for him under Masters and Mates Certificates on Ancestry - unfortunately the links bring up the record of someone else.

On incoming passenger lists I found the following, arriving 27/7/1928 from Japan:

Chas. Stewart    51     Master Mariner
Ethel Stewart     40 
Frederick Stewart  11

The address they are going to is:  Elmfield, Fealnville (as written) Ave., Roundhay, Leeds.

Thought too many coincidences here to overlook (even though wife is named Ethel).  He could have married Ethel, and Frederick born, anywhere in the world I guess.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 13:44 BST (UK) »

On incoming passenger lists I found the following, arriving 27/7/1928 from Japan:

Chas. Stewart    51     Master Mariner
Ethel Stewart     40 
Frederick Stewart  11

That's an intriguing find.

The Stewarts boarded the vessel at Penang - last permanent residence "F.M.S." (Federated Malay States).

Intended future permanent residence: England.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)