Author Topic: Just cracked an illegitimacy... Now What?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just cracked an illegitimacy... Now What?
« on: Saturday 17 May 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
I had an illegitimacy for an ancestor born in 1812 and just presumed there would be no records to reveal the father any further than the daughter bearing the middle name 'Dunstan' on the baptism record. Her name was Elizabeth Dunstan Hicks born in Perranarworthal around 1812. Her mother Elizabeth Hicks was born in 1792 in Feock, Cornwall and she later married Thomas Pedler in 1821.

I have just found here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=021-p182&cid=2-1-4-23#2-1-4-23
The quarter session outline describing a bastardy case for a daughter of Elizabeth Hicks of Perranarworthal and Nicholas Dunstan, jnr. of Kea.

So now presuming that Nicholas' father is also Nicholas I have come up with 2 possibilities. These are brief outlines so may contain errors.

POSSIBILITY 1 - Nicholas Dunstan bap. 1793 in Kea, son of Nicholas. Went on to marry Ann Bennets in 1816 at Kea.
POSSIBILITY 2- Nicholas Dunstan bap. 1784 in Feock (Elizabeth Hicks was born here as well), son of Nicholas and Dorcas. He married Joanna Bryant in 1833 at Feock.

Personally I am thinking number 1, despite being younger than Elizabeth at 19. He was still probably capable of getting the job done  ;)

Blake

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Just cracked an illegitimacy... Now What?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 May 14 02:08 BST (UK) »

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
you could get a copy of the record from the Record Office in Truro, there may be something that helps you identify which one.

Document ref P182/16a/23 Quarter Sessions order, female bastard child of Elizabeth Hicks, singlewoman

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/3627629/Photocopy-Form-Oct2013.pdf

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
I had an illegitimacy for an ancestor born in 1812 and just presumed there would be no records to reveal the father any further than the daughter bearing the middle name 'Dunstan' on the baptism record. Her name was Elizabeth Dunstan Hicks born in Perranarworthal around 1812. Her mother Elizabeth Hicks was born in 1792 in Feock, Cornwall and she later married Thomas Pedler in 1821.

I have just found here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=021-p182&cid=2-1-4-23#2-1-4-23
The quarter session outline describing a bastardy case for a daughter of Elizabeth Hicks of Perranarworthal and Nicholas Dunstan, jnr. of Kea.

So now presuming that Nicholas' father is also Nicholas I have come up with 2 possibilities. These are brief outlines so may contain errors.

POSSIBILITY 1 - Nicholas Dunstan bap. 1793 in Kea, son of Nicholas. Went on to marry Ann Bennets in 1816 at Kea.
POSSIBILITY 2- Nicholas Dunstan bap. 1784 in Feock (Elizabeth Hicks was born here as well), son of Nicholas and Dorcas. He married Joanna Bryant in 1833 at Feock.

Personally I am thinking number 1, despite being younger than Elizabeth at 19. He was still probably capable of getting the job done  ;)

Blake
Hi, The NA record does say he was of Kea
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
From experience with illegitimacy in my own tree, and should we say irregular marriages in my tree at the same historic period I think it is likely that the younger man is responsible
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
 :-[ My apologies, just noticed that quarter session record books cannot be copied as they are bound into books.

He is noted as Labourer on the order. Does that help to identify him?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 May 14 21:40 BST (UK) »
I think you can get  digital images of documents which can't be photocopied.  More expensive (the Archives website doesn't appear to give details of cost), but there's no harm in asking them for a quote.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 May 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
From what I've gathered here, I am going to make the decision that number 1 is the candidate we want.

The other guy seems to stay in Feock and our guy stays in Kea...

Although that quarter session book entry could be interesting... would there usually be more information available?

Thanks,
Blake

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 May 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
I think you can get  digital images of documents which can't be photocopied.  More expensive (the Archives website doesn't appear to give details of cost), but there's no harm in asking them for a quote.

Worrying! Remember the saying; if you have to ask the price you can't afford it! ;)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)