Author Topic: Ann Grant born Banff c1825  (Read 7040 times)

Offline oldbear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Grant born Banff c1825
« on: Friday 09 March 07 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Ann was my GGG Grandmother, born in Banff around 1825. Her parents were John Grant and Eliza ? She married William Smart in Fife in 1851. Does anyone have info on John and Eliza?
Co. Antrim - Ferguson
Campbelltown - Fleming
Fife - Mavor, Paton, Gourdie, Smart, Ferguson, More

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Grant born Banff c1825
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 June 07 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi - iv found a marriage of a john grant to an elizabeth stuart on 7 sep 1824 in aberlour, banff.

also there is a marriage of a john grant to an eliza in banff about 1797 - do you know whether the daughter was one of the first children or one of the last?

I would say look into the first marriage

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline oldbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Alison, I hope to get to Register House in Edinburgh quite soon so will investigate your suggestions.

Best regards,

Ruth
Co. Antrim - Ferguson
Campbelltown - Fleming

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 07 20:28 BST (UK) »
Ann was my GGG Grandmother, born in Banff around 1825. Her parents were John Grant and Eliza ? She married William Smart in Fife in 1851. Does anyone have info on John and Eliza?

These are very common names, so I'd advise against assuming that people wo appear to fit are the right ones.

This couple had several children, including Ann, born in Kettle on 11 September 1855. Her birth certificate should tell you the birth dates and places of both William and Ann, which will help to narrow the field.

William, Ann, and daughters Mary A and Georgina were at Lands End, Falkland, in the 1881 census, so you know they were still living then. Ann's age is given as 47, which implies born 1833/4.

The index at Scotland's People says that Ann Smart or Grant, aged 79, died in 1909.

I suggest that you start by going to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, investing in a few credits, and downloading this death certificate, which should tell you the full name of both of Ann's parents. You can download Ann Jr's birth certificate from the same site.

Happy hunting!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline oldbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, I do have Ann's death certificate but unfortunately her mothers maiden name is unknown. Her father is given as John Grant, a farmer, but as Grant is a common name in Banffshire I'll need to wait till I get to Edinburgh to investigate or I could run up quite a bill on Scotlands People! Ann's age at her death in 1909 is given as 78 or 79 (I can't be sure which), Ann jnr's birth certificate gives Ann snr's age in 1855 as 26 so I guess she was born around 1830. Hoped someone else might be researching Grants and have some pieces of the jigsaw for me! Thanks for your interest,

Regards,

Ruth
Co. Antrim - Ferguson
Campbelltown - Fleming

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have you tried entering the details you know on either:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

If someone has a family tree already with your Ann in it, this is one of the places I'd try first.  Has proved very useful to me in the past.

If not already tried, www.familysearch.org   The Mormons website.

Good luck with your search.  Regards,   Steve :O)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
hi ruth, do not know if this is any good to you (maybe you have it already) but sometimes it is better to post some details of the family were others maybe connect.

ann grant married william smart in kettle, fife, on the 24th nov 1851

the children from the marriage where all born in kettle, fife.

eliza was born 1852, seems she married john farmer in falkland, fife on the 16th nov 1880.

barbara was born 25th oct 1853

ann was born 11th sept 1855

helen was born 30th dec 1859

donald was born 3rd march 1862, seems he married jane miller in kettle on the 22nd nov 1889 and had a daughter jane edmiston smart on the 16th july 1890 in kettle, fife.

mary ann was born 29th nov 1864, seems she married william lawson on the 2nd jan 1891 at land's end. they had children:

annie grant davidson lawson who was born 17th dec 1891 at broombrae, auchtermuchty, she married john baxter on the 14th jan 1916 in orwell, kinross.

matthew lawson was born 24th march 1894, broombrae

alison davidson lawson was born 16th april 1895 at broombrae, seems she died 8th jan 1971

now there was a set of triplets which all died, david grieve lawson
                                                                         donald smart lawson
                                                                         mary ann lawson
i think they all died the same day they were born, 6th november 1898

david lawson was born 17th aug 1901 at freuchie, fife, seems he married margaret johnston payne at dunbog on the 15th july 1927.

margaret smart was born 31st dec 1866

hope this is of some help ruth

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline oldbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million for your info guys, some of it I do have and some is new (and really interesting). I have tried Rootsweb and the LDS but not too much luck so far, if I had her mothers maiden name I could probably narrow things down a bit. Hubby is a member of Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society so I will see if they have any resources which might be of use.

Once again, many thanks for your interest,

Ruth
Co. Antrim - Ferguson
Campbelltown - Fleming

Offline Raelean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth
I am at the same stage with my research of John and Eliza, I was wondering if you where able to find any further info.
Rae