Author Topic: Mackenzie Findochty  (Read 10033 times)

Offline Macca61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mackenzie Findochty
« on: Wednesday 11 March 09 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am trying to trace my Grandfathers history, Moses Mann Hunter Mackenzie, he was the Baker in Findochty born 1909 in Newmains Lanarkshire  he married Mary Gordon and had 2 children Jean and John Gordon, my father, i cannot find any trace of Hunter as he liked to be known or Mary, can anybody help.

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mackenzie Findochty
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to rootschat

Have you looked on the Scotlands people website?  It is a pay site but you can download their certs and they are cheaper than English ones.  With a 1909 birth he should be there and it will give you his parents.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline Macca61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for that, i have found him i need to look at his Father now.

Offline Maia261

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:33 GMT (UK) »
A quick check of Scotland's People shows Moses Mann Hunt (cannot fit in more letters) McKenzie was born in 1907 in Cambusnethan, Lanark.

Moray Libindx has Mary's details, ref: NM111740. Mary was born c.1913 and died aged 71 on 26 May 1984 at 16 Mackenzie Street, Findochty. Her husband is showing as Hunter Mackenzie. Mary's death was in one of the local papers, the BA (Banffshire Advertiser) on 29/05/1984, Page/Column 20/1.

Moses Mann Hunt (cannot fit in more letters) McKenzie died in Moray in 1980 aged 73 (can't seem to narrow it down from there as none of the districts return any results).

Hope that helps a bit.

Lynn  :)
Mackay – Inverness, Ross and Cromarty & Sutherland
Watson – Inverness-Shire & Ross and Cromarty
Douglas – Inverness-Shire & Moray
Sutherland – Caithness
Kilroe – Inverness & Ireland
Paterson - Banff
Clark – Glasgow & Ireland
Thomson – Caithness
Montgomery – Ross and Cromarty
Allanach – Moray & Glenbucket, Aberdeen
Smith – Banff
McLellan - Glenmoriston & Islay
Harvey – Glasgow & Ireland
Miller – Edinburgh & Caithness
Shearer - Caithness

Offline Macca61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thats great thank you, i guess i dont know where to go to find all this but i am learning

Offline calummac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 09 02:21 GMT (UK) »
It's amazing what turns up on the web when you start looking!
I was also looking for details of my grandfather, Hunter, I'm Jean's son, Calum, so you must either be Gordon, Graham, Morag or Shona?
I've managed to get some info from Scotlands people web site so far, after a bit of digging an was surprised with what I found. I didn't know the Mackenzie's came up from Lanark, I always thought they were from Dingwall area.

Here's the info I have so far

Moses Mann Hunter McKenzie(surname as spelt on the birth cert.) Born 24th Jan 1907 Newmains
Father-Alexander McKenzie, a baker, (born Ellon-1870-1872ish need more info...)
Mother-Margaret Mary Hunter (born 13th July 1876 Muirhouses Newmains)
They were married on 28th June 1900 in Cambusnethan.

Alexanders parents were Gregor (or Grigor) McKenzie, a crofter, and I think Annie Taylor??? need more info.
Margaret's parents were Moses Hunter, an iron moulder) and Margaret Fleming
They were married 1st September 1865 in Bothwell.

Moses' parent were David Hunter, an engine fitter, and Isabella Mann, more info needed.

Margaret Flemings parents were Alexander Fleming and Isabella Nisbett, more info needed.

So far have not done a great deal of research into Grannie yet, working on it though.

I'd be grateful if you have any more family details to pass on,

Regards,

Calum (MacDonald)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
The IGI on the LDS web site at www.familysearch.org lists 7 children of Gregor McKenzie and Ann Taylor, including Alexander, born in Savoch on 17 December 1869. Savoch is just north of Crimond and south of Fraserburgh in Aberdeenshire.

The 1881 census lists Gregor McKenzie, aged 51, a crofter, born Fyvie, with wife Ann, aged 51, born Tarves and three children all born in Ellon including Alexander, aged 11. They were living at Saggiehole, Ellon.

The marriage banns of Gregor McKenzie and Ann Taylor were recorded twice; In Udny on 11 and in Logie Buchan on 19 December 1853. This means that one of the couple was living in Udny and one in Logie Buchan at the time of their marriage.

That means you'll need to get Gregor's and Ann's death certificates from Scotland's People to find out who their parents were. Go for her first because she should be indexed under both her maiden and her married name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline calummac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 09 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, my cousin Gordon has found Gregors parents, James Watt and Jane McKenzie. Will look around for Anne Taylor based on your info. i'm quite new at this, so appreciate the help!

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 April 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
My father, John Hunter, was Hunter Mackenzie's cousin. I remember when I was a wee boy in the mid seventies on holiday in the north east, we went to see Hunter  at the bakeryin Findochty. I am sure he was just about to retire and remember him giving me money to buy a football. My dad's aunt (his father's sister)  married a Mackenzie and my dad mentioned that when she left to go up north she was given the Hunter family bible (which had a lot of details of births etc written in it).
The family names of Moses Mann comes from an ancestor whose grave stone still exists at Cambusnethan cemetry with a date of 1794 for the burial of one of his children.

Regards, J