Author Topic: James Allan  (Read 8403 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Allan
« on: Friday 11 November 11 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of James Allen (my 4x great-grandfather) who was born around 1783 in Grange, Banffshire. He married Jane Rutherford (daughter of Thomas Rutherford and Elizabeth Rennie) in Deskford, Banffshire in 1808. Jane died at Farnoughty, Rathven, Banffshire in 1861. I have found both James and Jane on the 1841 and 1851 censuses.  I have found 6 children for James and Jane: Elizabeth, James (my 3x great-grandfather), Jane, Isobel, John and Margaret so I was wondering if James's parents were James Allen and Isobel Cruikshank as there is a baptism on the Family Search website for September 1785. I haven't found a death record for James yet.
Can anyone help please?
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Allan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 11 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of James Allen (my 4x great-grandfather) who was born around 1783 in Grange, Banffshire. He married Jane Rutherford (daughter of Thomas Rutherford and Elizabeth Rennie) in Deskford, Banffshire in 1808. Jane died at Farnoughty, Rathven, Banffshire in 1861. I have found both James and Jane on the 1841 and 1851 censuses.  I have found 6 children for James and Jane: Elizabeth, James (my 3x great-grandfather), Jane, Isobel, John and Margaret so I was wondering if James's parents were James Allen and Isobel Cruikshank as there is a baptism on the Family Search website for September 1785. I haven't found a death record for James yet.
Can anyone help please?

You haven't told us everything you know ;)

When in 1861 did Jane die? Did her death certificate describe her as a widow?

The 1851 census gives James' age as 68 If this is correct his birth date would have been 1782/3. He could be the son of James Allen and Isobel Cruikshank, but you'd need something more definite as their son would have been 65 on the date of the 1851 census, if he survived that long of course.

Argh! My 'puter is doing strange things - I'll send this and sign off, and come back to it later.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 November 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I have now put together a bit more information. New at this as only signed on yesterday.
Jane died a widow on 30th May 1861 at Farnoughty, Rathven where she and James were living at the 1851 census with their daughter Margaret. When Margaret married in 1857 her record gave James as deceased. The only death that I can find for James Allan between 1851 and 1857 is recorded in the Catholic deaths and burials for Pershome which I believe is near to where he was living in 1851. The burial is marked as assisted but I am not sure if this means that the priest assisted with the burial or that the burial was assisted because James was a pauper (according to the 1851 census).
In 1851 he gives his age as 68 which is in the frame for the baptism of a James Allan son of James Allan and Isobel Cruikshank.
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline greenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 May 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know this may come as a surprise, but I have been researching what appears to be the same James Allan, born in Cantly, baptised 11 September 1785 in the presence of witnesses, James Gray, James Kelman, Helen Allan, Margaret Kelman and the congregation.
Married Jane Rutherford 19 November 1808, Parish of Deckford, Banffshire.

I am a descendant through the Allan family, being my mother's father's line. I now live in New Zealand.

Perhaps we could make contact. This has happened on a couple of other times with folk way back then.

Cheers
Ian

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 May 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like the same James Allan and I had looked at the baptism on Scotland's People but just wasn't certain.
Is your John the son of James and Jane?
Pauline

Offline greenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 May 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Yes he is. John was born 23 Sep 1819 at Rothiemay, Banffshire, Scotland and passed away 3 Nov 1892 aged 73 at Newhills, Aberdeenshire. He married Elizabeth Dallachy Ross, registered 21 July 1844 at Old Machar. Worked at a quarryer, a stone mason. Built Marybank as his home. They had 8 children to my knowledge one of whom was Alexander Allan, my gt grandfather.

Cheers
Ian

Offline greenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 May 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone living in Banffshire know where Pershome is and is it still named the same now?
I have not been able any result when I googled the name.

"The only death that I can find for James Allan between 1851 and 1857 is recorded in the Catholic deaths and burials for Pershome which I believe is near to where he was living in 1851".

Thanks
Ian

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 May 13 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenshed

Try googling Preshome. There is an R.C Chapel there and Farnachty is nearby.

Steven

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 May 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenshed

Go here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html  put in the co-ords  341055  861418.
This should take you to Preshome. Before selecting a map pan right three or four times and you will see Farnachty.

Steven