Author Topic: james yates 1775 anna strachan  (Read 5731 times)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james yates 1775 anna strachan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 April 13 23:30 BST (UK) »
thought your manner on this reply rather aggressive carole sorry if this query has upset you but we or me just searching for leads on family history.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 April 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
I can't see anything aggressive at all in my reply above - I just stated the facts. 

I noticed that you have twice added to the original post - on 17th Feb and again today - so thought it best to put you in the picture re: number of viewings etc in case you were thinking that your post was being overlooked

When you are looking for records as far back as the 1700's - you sometimes have to accept that the reason you don't get a reply is simply because people are unable to help that far back.

As you are aware from your other posts - if people can help - they will.   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 April 13 00:23 BST (UK) »
ok carole do understand sorry for the comment just red the wrong way
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 April 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi. I don't really think caroleW was being aggressive. There is such a lot to read in this topic and its links.

Having just glanced at it and looked briefly at Family Search and FreeCEN, I can see, in 1841, your James Yates senior, an agricultural labourer, aged "65" (i.e. potentially 64-69 because of the recording system for ages then) (probably) as a widower. He is not in the 1851 census, so was presumably dead by then. He was not born in Fife, but the 1851 census shows his children, James and Mary, were born in Culross (Perthshire). Family Search also shows children, Anna and William born in Culross.

That means James senior was born outside Fife between 1772 and 1777. There is no way you can tie him in with a previous generation unless the names of witnesses at the baptisms of his children, Anna and William, point in the right direction (e.g. mention a witness as being a relative). Unless you find this, you can assume nothing about his parentage or place of birth (except it isn't Fife). This, of course, is very frustrating and we have all been there!

I have not looked at Anna Strachan, but with her (seemingly) being dead at the time of the 1841 census and her marriage not being recorded to point to a parish of residence/origin, you are again having to rely on the witnesses to the baptisms of Anna and William as potentially a pointer.

The only other possibility is if they had been guilty of antenuptial fornication (i.e. their first child was VERY  ;) premature) or they had their first child before their marriage, the kirk session would have looked into the matter and some details would have been recorded in its minutes. As you don't know where the were married and first settled, it would be a long shot, but you could try Culross first.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 April 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
thanks for that gr2 regards david

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 April 13 14:08 BST (UK) »
after receiving some great info on james yates and anna strachan from a family member maybe will get some help with any siblings to these people,have a james yates baptized aberlour 14 august 1775 parents are charles yates and janet mill.witnesses are a james mill,william stewart,helen stewart elspet gordon.on the 25th october 1776 george strachan kirktown and his wife agnes wans had their daughter anna strachan baptized in botriphne,bannif.the witnesses wer alex angus and hugh shearer did james and anna have any siblings regards david