Author Topic: Does anyone have a plan of Broomhill Cemetery, Keith?  (Read 5586 times)

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a plan of Broomhill Cemetery, Keith?
« on: Wednesday 12 June 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the headstone of my great-grandparents Alexander Anderson d 14 Feb 1966 (headstone ref K(Br) 114) and Isabella Hendry Anderson nee Tough d 28 Sep 1962 (headstone ref K(Br) 1014) so that I can ask a kind rootschatter to take a photograph. The headstone references came from Libindx but I think they should both be the same. I also have the parish register references  Alexander MF C Ke2 p161 (12/26) and Isabella MF C Ke2 p 160 (12/26)
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.
Noble, Gray, Bird - Durham/Northumberland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a plan of Broomhill Cemetery, Keith?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the headstone of my great-grandparents Alexander Anderson d 14 Feb 1966 (headstone ref K(Br) 114) and Isabella Hendry Anderson nee Tough d 28 Sep 1962 (headstone ref K(Br) 1014) so that I can ask a kind rootschatter to take a photograph. The headstone references came from Libindx but I think they should both be the same. I also have the parish register references  Alexander MF C Ke2 p161 (12/26) and Isabella MF C Ke2 p 160 (12/26)
Pauline

The plan is in the Local Heritage Centre in Elgin.

The above references tell you
MF - it's a microfilm
C - it's burial records
Ke - it's Keith
2 - it's the second reel of microfilm for Keith burials, and therefore it's Broomhill
p160 and p 161 - it's on pages 160 and 161 of the book (this is potentially misleading because there are actually three books in the microfilm so you would need to bear that in mind)
12 tells you it's in Section 12 of the cemetery
26 tells you it's Lair No 26

So in fact 12/26 is the relevant detail you need to identify the grave.

The reason the burial information is listed under 'Parish Register' is that when LIBINDX was designed they had not envisaged including burial records, so they did not provide a field for this, and as everyone knows, once a database has been designed and is in use you can't add more fields. So it was decided to put the burial references in field space provided for parish registers.

How do I know all this? Well, I am the person who is sporadically indexing the Keith burial records  ;)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian it is all much clearer now. Also confirms that I have the correct details for Alexander as the Lair numbers are the same. Do you think that Elgin will provide me with a copy of the plan if I send them the Lair details? I live in France so going there isn't an option at the moment.
Pauline
Henderson, McCormack, Smith, Dalziel, Robison, Muirhead, Riddick, Irving, Raffle, McKeig, McGhie, McCulloch, Walker, Murray, Blacklock, Beaty. McKie, Wilson, Dickson, Holliday, Robson, Bryden, Muir - Dumfriessshire /Kirkcudbrightshire.
Tough, Gordon, Allan, Henry/Hendry, Reid, Pirie, Hardie, Longmuir, Leslie, Copland, Forbes, Thompson, Rutherford, Meldrum, Leid, Ironside, Rennie, Ronald, Thom, Simpson, Wilson, Sim and Young - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
I am having so much bother trying to send this attachment, you wouldn't believe!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pollymann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a plan of Broomhill Cemetery, Keith? COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Forfarian. It was very kind of you to take the photograph. There is also the bonus of confirming George's death as well.
Pauline