Author Topic: Monumental Inscriptions  (Read 2138 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monumental Inscriptions
« on: Thursday 22 August 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the MIs for the following:

William Grant, 1784 - 1875 b. Knockando and his wife Sarah Miller 1785 - 1851/1855 also b. Knockando
Their son, James Grant, 1812 - 1900, b. Dulnain Bridge and his wife Christina McIntosh 1815 - 1879 b. Grantown, plus their son Donald Grant, 1860 - 1864 b. Grantown

They all lived, from the 1820s onwards, and died in Grantown and, according to his death notice, James is definitely buried in Inverallan graveyard. He was quite wealthy, owning a number of properties, so was easily able to afford a stone for his parents and his family. I have Alison Mitchell's pre-1855 MIs for Inverallan, Cromdale, Advie and Duthil but none of them are there (she does have some post 1855s listed).

William's parents and brother Lachlan are buried in Duthil, I have that MI and a photo, so it is possible he may be there, it's only about 6 miles from Grantown.

As his eldest son was the informant on the death certificate, I think it likely that James Grant is buried with his wife and son so they should all be in Inverallan.

Can anyone find them for me?  Many thanks

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
You can try doing a search on the free, Moray site called Libindx.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, although the parish of Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie, including Grantown etc, is in the County of Moray, it is not in the present District of Moray, therefore the MIs in the graveyards in that parish are not included in LIBINDX.

As I understand it, the Mitchells included in their MI transcription booklets all of the inscription on any stone that included at least one person who died before 1855. If there were no 1855 deaths, they omitted the stone.

If you know that Sarah Miller died before 1855, and she is not in the Mitchells' book, you can assume that she is not commemorated on a legible stone.

I think Dulnain Bridge is in the parish of Duthil.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 August 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments.  I have Sarah Miller in the 1851 census, her husband a widower in the 1861 and no statutory death record so I am assuming, possibly incorrectly, that she died between 1851 and 1855.

Dulnain Bridge is right on the very moveable border between Morayshire and Invernessshire.  People worshipped in either Inverallan or Duthil churches.  I have OPRs for what became Dulnain Bridge with both the marriage (1811) and birth of the first child (1812) registered in Inverallen but the parents of the husband, living in the same household, buried in Duthil (1812 and 1822).