Author Topic: Lookup Request - 1995 Obit / Death Cert - Kilkenny City  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Barbara Eyre

• RootsChat Member
  • Eyre - Co. Kilkenny & Co. Wexford, Ireland
    • View Profile
Lookup Request - 1995 Obit / Death Cert - Kilkenny City
« on: Thursday 21 May 09 04:54 BST (UK) »
I hope it's alright to make this post.

I've tried every known free website/database I could find on the web and can not seem to find any mention of the following death.

Back in 1989, my Dad, my Grandmother, and I went to Ireland.  One of our stops was Kilkenny to visit Grandfather's 1st cousin: Josephine (Josie) Neary.

She lived at 6 Kickham Street, Kilkenny City. 
Right around the corner, on James Green [street], was where my G-Grandfather's Eyre family lived (extended family occupied another house in the same street).

Right now, I know nearly nothing about Josie.  I have no clue exactly in what way the Neary family is related to the Eyre family.  Hence my search, as I've always been curious.

I do know Josie died in the summer of 1995.  I assumed she stayed in the same house until her death.  If not, in the same city.

She did have a sister that lived in Canada, whom I corresponded with once (but that letter is lost).  I believe her name was Catherine.

Now, at the GenForum, earlier this year, there was another looking for a Josephine Neary ... who had a daughter named Mary ... and this was Mary's grand-daughter looking for the information.  And member came back with the following information.  I am going to assume, for now, that this is my Josie.

CousinConnect Query: 23881 18/3/03
John Neary
2nd wife: Mary McCabe
Kids: John, Joseph, Mary, Josephine, Catherine
John d.c. 1940, Brooklyn, NY.  [does d.c. have to do with death?]

If someone in Kilkenny would be willing to do a lookup for Josie's obituary or even can obtain a copy of the death certificate ... just anything I can use to try to confirm other family member names ... have a birth date ... anything to begin working backwards in the search on the Neary family.

My 2 year search on the internet has come up dry thus far for this family.

Thanks in advance,
Barbara
Eyre: Co. Kilkenny/Co. Wexford, Ireland
Bradley: Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
Christie: Co. Kilkenny, Ireland
Thompson: W. Derby, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Taylor: Woodbury, Litchfield Co., CT -> Manhattan, NY 
Wood: Delevin, MN -> Greene, NY -> Bergen, NJ

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request - 1995 Obit / Death Cert - Kilkenny City
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
ContactMr. declan Macauley, Kilkenny City Library, Johns Quay, Kilkenny.
The city library keep copies of the Kilkenny People for 1995 on microfilm they should be able to look it up for you there. The obituary/death notice should be printed in the people and they should get it easily for you.

Hope this is of some help. 

Offline Barbara Eyre

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the contact information.

I just sent an email to the Library based on the email addresses they give on their website, with his name in the subject line. 

If there is no response by the end of the week, I'll send them a letter in the post.

Offline Barbara Eyre

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Well, my search still continues with Josie.  I have no idea if Neary was her maiden or married name at this point since Josephine (Josie) Neary does not come up on any database I can find/have access to.

I have both emailed and sent by post, a letter to the Kilkenny library, but have never received a response.

Can anyone living in the Kilkenny area please help me look up Josie's obituary and/or anything that gives more information about her and her family? 

Thanks in advance.

Offline Barkerbird

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara did you get anywhere with Josephine neary? I was the grand-daughter of Mary (as mentioned in your previous post) whom I believe was Josephine's daughter. Visited kilkenny but still nothing on Josephine. I did go to the county home in thomastown and found that Josephine had my nan there in June 1927. They left in 1928 and the rest is a bit patchy. Is this the same Josephine you are looking for do you know?