Author Topic: Margaret Hyland 1846/1847 or 1849  (Read 3905 times)

Offline 1057

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Hyland 1846/1847 or 1849
« on: Thursday 13 March 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I seek information on Margaret Hyland(s) with likely birth dates 1846/1847 or 1849.
I believe these are likely two different women.  Neither may actually turn-out to be the woman
who is an ancestor to me.  So I seek information on marriage and burials of these women.
Thank you

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Hyland 1846/1847 or 1849
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 14 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Rootsireland.ie has two baptisms for Margaret Hyland on its Kilkenny centre, one in 1847 and the other in 1849. I could see no plausible marriage record but there are two burial records (maybe she never married?).  Rootsireland is a pay site so it would cost you about €5 per record (unless you buy credits in bulk).
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline 1057

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
Rootsireland is a pay site so it would cost you about €5 per record (unless you buy credits in bulk).

Not any more, they opened a subscription service this month about € 25 a month about € 100 for 6 months to look at as many records as you like.

Still more expensive than sites like ancestry or findmypast but invaluable for records not held on those sites and way better than the outrageous € 5 a record pot luck peek which they have operated until now.

Bear in mind also that a lot of the records are riddled with date mistakes. There are huge discrepancies between birth dates listed on baptism records and civil birth records rarely do they match exactly with no explanation why or indeed which one is correct. You often also get baptisms taking place about three months before the actual birth date given !!!

I presume this is because all of the records were transcribed at the same time at Rothe House, supervised by a local historian (related to me) who had a team of eager University students to transcribe all the records, many of which to be fair, were virtually ineligible and in many cases it is probably unclear if the date of baptism or borth  is the actual date the event took place or the date the record was registered.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
"birth dates not matching baptism dates"

The main reason for this happening was because there was a fine for late registration, so in order to avoid this fine, the parent or whoever was registering the birth just gave a more recent date.
   As infant mortality was very high and for religious reasons, the baptism (usually) occurred as soon as possible following the birth.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=661732.msg5072899#msg5072899

Link to earlier thread about inconsistent dates which may be of interest

Offline MBR1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
I expect that explains it in most cases - thanks :)