Author Topic: Henry Joseph Doyle, born Co Cork in 1892  (Read 834 times)

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Joseph Doyle, born Co Cork in 1892
« on: Monday 20 October 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Henry was my first cousin once removed and his parents were my great aunt, Lucy Crowley, and Charles Doyle, both born in Ireland.  I cannot find any information about Henry in Ireland after the 1911 census which states he was a chauffeur.  Both his brothers emigrated to the US but again, I cannot find any similar information which is definitely about him.  There is an entry on Findmypast for a Henry Joseph Doyle who married Winifred Eva Calloway in Shanklin, IoW in 1942, and a death in 1951.  We lived in London but spent many family holidays in the IoW when I was a child, at my father's request, and he mentioned a 'friend' who was a chauffeur, I am making a complete stab in the dark that he had visited his cousin on the Island and had happy memories and wanted to go back there- well you do have to think outside the box sometimes to climb over the brick wall!!  Any information gratefully received.
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Joseph Doyle, born Co Cork in 1892
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 13:31 BST (UK) »
Well you could send for the marriage certificate and see if his father was Charles.

Does the death in 1951 give his age ** - if so does that tally with the age you think he would have been?

Only thing not sure about is would your father call him a "friend" when he was a relative?  Maybe.

** Henry J Doyle was 58 so born c1893.

Winifred was born 1904 died 1982.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Joseph Doyle, born Co Cork in 1892
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  The age tallies but certificates in the UK are much more expensive to purchase than the photocopies you can get for Irish BMDs.  On the basis that my father did not know that his brother lived only 10 miles from us in London, I am not surprised at any comments about the family!
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland