Author Topic: Migration Workers 1860's from Norfolk to Yorkshire HALL & HOWMAN  (Read 35093 times)

Offline rheme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howman's from Norfolk
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 13 February 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Found a link on Facebook - Howman's of the world - there is a family tree in the photo section that takes the Norfolk Howman's back to William Howman born c. 1240.

It is difficult to read as the print is too small, but if you right click on it then copy and paste it onto a word document - landscape, then use the zoom it is possible to read it.  Might be worth printing it out and blowing up on a photocopier.

Hope this helps someone.   :)

Offline rensor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Migration Workers 1860's from Norfolk to Yorkshire HALL & HOWMAN
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Came across your topic by chance and only last night watched a TV programme I'd recorded some time ago - it was the BBC's Who Do You Think You Are episode concerning Jeremy Paxman. It was a pretty old programme as I recorded it off some repeat channel.
His relatives were on Poor Relief in Suffolk until some time in the 1830s when this was replaced by the workhouses. To avoid going into the workhouse they joined a scheme which moved them from Suffolk to Lancashire (and eventually to Yorkshire) to work in the woollen mills. Apparently they were transported first to London then, by canal, to Lancashire and provided with jobs. Only children over 12 got jobs so this family left three younger children in Suffolk until they were able to be reunited some years later.
The scheme was run by Migration Agents and was paid for by the Poor Relief people. I'm sorry I don't know the actual name of the scheme.
My own relatives (being the contrary bunch we were) moved from Yorkshire to Norfolk so were opposite to the general flow.
Hope this might help solve your mystery.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 12:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Rensor
Thanks for the info, will try and find something about the Migration Agents/Scheme.

Bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline boudeccia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 23 September 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I just picked up your link, and it seems your family is also mine. Linked via Charlotte Howman(my great great grandmother), sister of Lydia Howman, who upped and left Norfolk with Robert and went to Hull. I may have the answer to the confusion of the two sons' parentage. According to my information, they are listed in a census as being Robert's children, and Lydia is listed as the mother, at the same time as being listed as Robert's daughter. This is either a mistake on the part of the census taker, or there appears to have been some incest. That's the only two conclusions i can draw from the info. If you want to know more, please let me know. I've traced the Howman's back to Norfolk as far back as around 1270, and I think the name was originally Humanz, the furthest back i can go is a Johann Diederich Humanz, and it seems the name was adapted to Howman later. So it's a fair guess he was from Eastern Europe or possibly Scandanavia. There's has always been a bit of a myth in my family about a German Jewish link somewhere but I have no proof if this is just myth so far. Charlotte Howman married a Norton, from Lincoln and they moved to Sheffield, which is where my family has been since. Quite how or why she came to leave her family in Norfolk and move to Lincoln is not clear, they were married in Lincoln but moved shortly after to Sheffield. It was around the time Lydia moved to Hull with Robert. I have a photograph of Charlotte and my great, great Grandfather if you are interested. I also have a burial certificate/receipt for an infant of the family who died aged 9months in 1903, their child, who's name is 'Howman' Norton. he was buried in a reopened grave so I assume there are several more int he same plot but haven't been able to locate the exact spot in the cemetary so far, but it's still there, opposite Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield.  It seems to have been the next generation My great Grandfather who dropped the Howman name. Charlotte had around 14 children, many of them died in infancy but around 8 survived to adulthood. Not sure if the Howman's of Norfolk were particularly 'short' but my great grandfather was only 5 foot 2, and his brother around the same. i hope at least some of this info is useful and would be interested in any information you have to compare and confirm that mine is correct.

Offline rayhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 12 August 12 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi GMJ,
I presume your parents are D and AM and you married MCJ?
I have been in touch previously with Charles' son Sean re the Howman families.
Regards
Ray

Offline rayhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 12 August 12 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi boudeccia,
I would like to know more about the family of William Hill Norton and Charlotte Mary Ann / Miriam Howman.
I have the names of eight children, including Wilfred Howman Norton who died in 1905, and I think William died in 1948 and Charlotte in 1951, but have nothing on their descendants.
Regards
Ray

Offline Mahtem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 08 December 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Great Stuff!

I have been toying with the idea of researching the Howman family history for ages.
I am a grandson of Joseph and Arabella.
My mum (Nellie) used to say he worked as a builders labourer and fitted the round concrete balls to the gateposts of the almshouses at East Park, Hull.
I think he died in 1924 of the effects of mustard gas. (a year after my mum was born)He failed to get a ticket saying he had been gassed, so he and his widow could get no War Pension.
Gert was married to Arthur Cullum and lived in Rosmead St., Hull. They had a son Brian.
As far as I can remember Leah used to visit Howman relatives in East Derham. They were butchers and farmers.

I would love to have further info if anyone has some.

Kirk, (Bassigham, Lincs)
Ringwood (Westwick, Norfolk)
Horner (East Halton, Lincs)
Eaman (Hull, Yorks)
Haddon (Hull, Yorks and Leverington, Cambs.)
Laws (Stanner, Wales)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am tying in a similar thread that may be of benefit:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650066.new#new

bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline boudeccia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi boudeccia,
I would like to know more about the family of William Hill Norton and Charlotte Mary Ann / Miriam Howman.
I have the names of eight children, including Wilfred Howman Norton who died in 1905, and I think William died in 1948 and Charlotte in 1951, but have nothing on their descendants.
Regards
Ray
Hi ray, you can reach me on chrisgrn2@aol.com , I can't reply to the message you sent. Fred was my great grandfather, he married Myra Kelsall and Edna Norton, his daughter, was my grandmother who died on 27th august 2012 aged 90. Email me and I'll send you everything I have including photos.