Author Topic: John Watson  (Read 5462 times)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Watson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have rang the Treasure House Archives @ Beverley that holds the registers for most of East Riding and including Hull. Within the books for Holy Trinity and its other burial sites Castle Street and Division Road and Skidby there is nothing for a headstone for an Elizabeth Watson in any.

I have been advised to send in an email with the information to ask if the archive staff would go through the burial registers for these places and check to see if she is buried in one of them, otherwise if not, she may have been taken to be buried at Wakefield, I will see if I can find where her father was buried, maybe there is a family vault in Wakefield.

It could take some time for the archives staff to respond to me, so if you haven't had a message from me within the next month just remind me please to chase it up.

b.
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
From A****try
West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812 about Richard Linecar
Richard Linecar
Birth: 1723
Burial 19 Feb 1800
Parish: Wakefield, All Saints
Note... this date is before the date of his noted death below, but it is a transcription error as I have looked at the original entry.
I will try and locate a Monumental Inscription and see if dau Elizabeth is interred in same plot.

Again A****try
Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1-20, 22 about Richard Linnecar
Richard Linnecar
Birth: 1722
Place: Wakefield
Death: 14 Mar 1800
Place: Swillington
Below is a transcription of where the above info has been taken from:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Linnecar,_Richard_(DNB00)

Quote   """" LINNECAR, RICHARD (1722–1800), dramatist, born at Wakefield in 1722, was for some time postmaster there. In 1763 he was elected one of the coroners for the West Riding of Yorkshire. For many years he was a prominent freemason. He died while holding an inquest at Swillington on 14 March 1800, aged 78 (Gent. Mag. 1800, pt. i. p. 391).
Linnecar published by subscription in 1789 a volume of ‘Miscellaneous Works’ (8vo, Leeds), containing two comedies, ‘The Lucky Escape,’ described by Genest ‘as insipid to the last degree,’ and ‘The Plotting Wives,’ the latter of which was acted at York on 6 Feb. 1769; a tragedy, ‘The Generous Moor;’ some prose ‘Strictures on Freemasonry,’ and numerous songs and other trifles in verse.
His portrait was painted by Singleton and engraved by T. Barrow.
[Lupton's Wakefield's Worthies, pp. 254–5; Linnecar's Works; Lowndes's Bibl. Man. p. 1367; Evans's Cat. of Engraved Portraits, i. 210.] """"

If you contact the seller he is willing to send some photographs of this book:
http://ukbookworld.com/book-for-sale/STERN/21516/linnecar-richard-provincial-printing-the-miscellaneous-works-richard-linnecar-wakefield

Quote  """" LINNECAR (Richard) [PROVINCIAL PRINTING]: The Miscellaneous Works of Richard Linnecar of Wakefield. ,
First Edition, [8], 300pp., large octavo, a very good entirely unsophisticated large copy in original boards uncut, backstrip largely wanting but cords firm, LEEDS: Printed by Thomas Wright, 1789. PHOTOGRAPHS AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. Contains the plays: The Lucky Escape, the Generous Moor, the Plotting Wives; with: Songs, p.216-244.; Strictures on Freemasonry, p.245-262 and Poems, p.263-267 with a long subscriber's list (mostly from Yorkshire and north country). "Linnecar was the author of the celebrated Masonic anthem (present in this volume) beginning "Let there be Light! Th’ Almighty spoke /Refulgent beams from chaos broke, / T’ illume the rising earth. / Well pleased the great Jehovah stood / The Power Supreme pronounced it good, / And gave the planets birth." Little is known of his personal history except that he was the Coroner of Wakefield, England, and for many years the Master of the Lodge of Unanimity, No. 238, in that town. He was a zealous and studious Freemason. In 1789 he published, at Leeds, a volume of plays, poems, and miscellaneous writings, among which was an essay entitled Strictures on Freemasonry, and the anthem already referred to. He appears to have been a man of respectable abilities..." - Encyclopedia Of Freemasonry and its Kindred Sciences by Albert G. Mackey M. D. (Book ref. 21516)  £80.00 """"

b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 September 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
I have received a reply from the Treasure House Archives at Beverley regarding the burial of an Elizabeth Watson which I mentioned earlier:

"""" Thank you for your query regarding the burial of Elizabeth Watson on 30 Aug 1810 by Holy Trinity Church, Hull.  I can confirm that the details you supplied are absolutely correct, and the burial is recorded in the Holy Trinity register (ref PE158/77).  Unfortunately, the register doesn't contain any further details, and there are no records within the Holy Trinity archive that would elaborate on Mrs Watson's burial.  I'm sorry that I can't provide you with more detailed information but I hope that confirmation of the burial date is of some use """

bendywendy
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 September 14 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks BW

It's good to have confirmation of burial of Elizabeth Watson. Sorry that John does not seem to fit in with your ongoing project of Watsons in Yorkshire, but if in future you find a link then I have a fair amount of information on their descendants.

David
Stevenson - Neilston, Paisley, Glasgow
Hillcoat - Paisley
Grant - Kinlochluichart, Kingussie
Paton - Lothian, Ayrshire
McCulloch Paisley, Glasgow
Watson - Ayrshire, Yorkshire, Glasgow
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast
Rankin - Glasgow and Paisley

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 September 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Have you found the Will for Richard Linnecar, which may have mentioned dau Elizabeth if she was still living at his death of 1800 ???
I have found a Will for a Mary Linnecar who could have been Richard's wife, which you can download for a small fee from the National Archives, Kew:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7205840

From the Death Duty Index
Mary Linnecar, widow, of Wakefield, Yorkshire died cir 1800
23 Aug 1800

Mary Linnecar buried 3 Jun 1800 Wakefield, All Saints aged 43, widow

Have you seen these as well:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=richard+linnecar

bendywendy