Author Topic: Photo Location = Scarborough?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo Location = Scarborough?
« on: Monday 16 June 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'd like verification of the location please.  A couple of the young ladies in this photo are my mother's sisters and I know when young that they regularly visited the east Yorkshire coast (Bridlington, Scarborough) as well as the north Norfolk coast (Yarmouth, etc.) plus Blackpool in Lancashire.

I've got a couple of postcard photographs probably taken 1931-ish and as the background is grassy I have no idea of the location.  However, I've realised that the girls are wearing the same outfits in both photos and there seems to be castle ramparts in the background of the attached.  The group are from Hull and I'm wondering if this could be Scarborough Castle.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Location = Scarborough?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 June 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
looks like it to me, Rena:

http://archeurope.com/_tours-images/2013_north_yorkshire/Scarborough%20Castle.jpg

Your photo taken from below.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Aha! thanks Gadget, much appreciated.

I did a bit of sleuthing on the pantaloon type fashion and think some of the girls are wearing "Beach Pyjamas" :-)

As to the date of the photo; further peering at Eva on the right shows she might be wearing a ring on her left hand.  Engagement rings in the 1930s consisted of a 3 diamond cross over style, but I can't make out whether she's wearing a wedding band and/or an engagement ring.  I don't know when she got engaged but know that she married in 1935 and had her first child in 1936.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 June 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, Scarborough gets my vote, looks to be on the grass up near the castle, me and my OH used to go to the same location (up near the castle, not that exact spot) when we were courting  ;D

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 June 14 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, Scarborough gets my vote, looks to be on the grass up near the castle, me and my OH used to go to the same location when we were courting  ;D

Frank.

Aha, thanks for the vote - so you would recognise this patch of grass eh?   ;D

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 June 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, Scarborough gets my vote, looks to be on the grass up near the castle, me and my OH used to go to the same location when we were courting  ;D

Frank.

Aha, thanks for the vote - so you would recognise this patch of grass eh?   ;D

:-X :-X :-X     ;D

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 June 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
He was probably in the bushes at the back Rena....I spent many a Sunday afternoon in Scarborough back in the day when when life as a teenager was a lot less complicated   :)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input everybody.

Going on from Frank and Carol's remarks, I missed out because I usually spent my free weekends playing cricket on the sands with a bunch of pals at Hunmumby Gap or Tunstall beach    :)