Author Topic: Woodlock Smith  (Read 26040 times)

Offline mar1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodlock Smith
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 January 08 18:28 GMT (UK) »
 Hello
 I dont know if you have seen the topic Joiner Buckley in the Travelling People section?There is some detail on the various family connection's between the Smith's, Buckley's and Lee's etc. I understand that there is a lot of this info in the Terrence Lee geneology books and also some references in Gypsy Smith's biography. Hello aa1webb we are related through Justinia Smith nee Buckley.

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 January 08 18:48 GMT (UK) »
hello mar1
well relative you can call me amanda :D
yes i have seen the joiner chat, think i was actually part of it a while ago. it was very interesting. also have a look at logan ? that chat has connections to us. justina is sister to my g.grandfather santalina. how are you related then.?
amanda
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline mar1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 February 08 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Amanda
Joiner Buckley and his wife are my great,great,great grandparents and from what you have written they are yours as well. Thankyou for the extra info. :)

Mark

Offline babygirlbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 May 08 17:27 BST (UK) »
Woodlock Smith was known as Woodlock the Evangelist i believe.  He was married to Justinia Buckley.

Woodlocks sister Alice was married to Josiah Buckley, she later married his brother Carnation (sometimes written as Ganation or Nathan) she died in 1921.

They are all in my tree.  Justinia's brother Frank was my g-g-g grandad.
Buckley - Essex, London
Howsego/Housego - Essex, London
Lee - Essex, London
Williams

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi just reading posts and have alittle inof on Joiner Buckley from index of Buckland & Buckley names

Starts with Perun Buckley married a really dark woman most likely a LEE their son  :
 Joe Buckley married to a Skipper, gaji woman from Harwich
they had 4 sons : Joiner Sam Hariam Elijah

Sam Buckley  was 1st husband of Seni Smith, he was transported to Jamaica

Seni Smith sister to Treli Frank Cornelius Elijah & Lomas Smith, she died 1886 at Plaistow

Joiner ( nickname Jania) 2nd husband of Seni Smith,

It says Joiner was a wire sieve maker coppersmith bell hanger & repairer of Ag Implements born sometime abt 1780

Hariam Buckley married Peggy Lee they were from Epping forest, thier daughter Britannia Buckley married William Oadley (only daughter) died before easter 1910

Elijah Buckley husband of Elizabeth or Betsy Smith killed after a brawl at Epping Forest while his children were still young ( murdered by Gypsy Stephens in 1933)
his children were
 1 Lazzy ( othewwise known as George Smith )
 2 Oti ( Oti was known as William Smith )
 3 Levaithen
 Elizabeth Smith was sister to Jasper Petulengro & Ambrose Smith
After her husbands death she used surname Smith and moved to New England with her 2 sons ?

Lazzy must have stayed in England he married Kerlenda Lee father of Midora Alice Charles Henry Fredrick Margaret Cecilia Ernest Patrick Arthur

Joiner & Seni died 1886 survived by 7 children, Joiner is a name among Buckleys who travel round London
In no order of age :

1 Noah Buckley son of Joiner & Seni he married a Smith.

2  Ganation ( known as Nathan) son of Joiner & Seni
 husband of Alice Smith lived at Eastwood born 1839

3  Frank son of Joiner & Seni
1st wife a Williams 2nd wife Agnes Boswell
He was born 1845 lived at Barking in 1910

4 Justinia daughter of Joiner & Seni
 wife of Woodlock Smith the evanglelist, deceased by 1910

5 Kiomi daughter of Joiner  & Seni
 wife of Jimmy Taylor , lived in Canning town

6 Santalina ( Santi) son of Joiner & Seni,
 husband to Henrietta Boswell,
Her parents were Levi Boswell & Mary Lee
 Santi was father of Penderbella (Pender) he married Clara Lee, with whom he bought a old tram- car furnished it and used it for worship.
Santi was also father to a Peron it says he had more children ,but gives no names.

7 Hercules ( Arkless) known as " Dud" after a nominal marriage to Genti Gray married Sarah Draper he was baptized 1843 horringer Suffolk
there is mention of a Joe son of Peron who married a Biddy girl had at least a couple of children

It then says  most of Buckleys still travel to the north of London but some of them crossed into Kent as have their cousins the RHODES & the OADLEYS
All the BUCKLEYS and their offshoots come from a Joe Buckley & a Gaji woman From Harwich
Joe had 4 sons, but only Buckleys on the road today are the descendants of Joiner & Seni wh regard themselves as a very noble bred of Gypies.

I hope this will help someone if you need any more let me know
tiggi
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 19:41 BST (UK) »
Just noticed it also confirms that Alice Smith was sister to Woodlock Smith
I have no mention of a marriage before that to a Josiah Buckley , that;s not to say it didn;t happen , but note it doesn;t mention him as a child to Joiner & Seni either

It does say that Joe Buckley  may have had a previous wife before he married the Skipper woman from Harwich ?

does anyone know if Joe Buckley is descended from Emmanuel Buckley & Aqulia Draper ? they married in 1769
they had a son John baptized 1776 at Tackley could this be Joe ?

Emmanuel Buckley could be son of Amey Hearn & William Buckland they married in 1738, changed their surname from Buckland to Buckley on certificate
If so then family links back to my own Buckland line
Emmanuel had an older brother Edward Buckland
I have info on him and family wil share if I am correct
tiggi
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
hi tiggi,
i believe that josiah was the son of sam buckley and seni before he was transported and not of joiner and seni.......not sure but think thats how they are realated.....someone else shred that info with me but i dont have any proof myself.
a. :P
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi aa1webb
That would make sense I only have whats in the book and its dated 1888-1973
more than likely there could be more up to date information hope someone can tell us, would love to know if we all connect somehow,
Its strange my own 2 brothers which family start with Tenett & Plato one kept Buckland surname and the other used Buckley, I think I know why , but can;t put it here , but wonder if they all link up
tiggi

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
well i'd like to hear the reason if your sharing...you could send private message to me !! 8)
i have read that alot of buckleys were bucklands but im only as far back as joe and lazia so i;v not found any bucklands as yet, but never say never..im pretty sure that they did use the 2 names though as that would contribute the GLS not having anything before joe, who was possibly a josiah???? your theory sounds plausible to, 
amanda
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby