Author Topic: help with romany links  (Read 31801 times)

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with romany links
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Out of them brothers you put up there Ben Gentle was my grandfather. Also he had 9 sons and he left England to go to Ireland. Also he was burried in Killkenny. Ben's wife was called Nora Hall and she came from Kent and my father was called Johno Gentle. The name of the 9 brothers:
George, Roy, Bill, Fred, Johno, Edward, Pato, Arthur and Jim. They are all dead now.  And we were Romany Gypsy's. Ben Gentle was a horse dealer. And if you want to know any more just ask.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  In the late 50s/60s. When we went to Appleby fair. My dad used to have a crack with roy gentle.  He was or seemed old then.he always had a good living wagon.and horses. My father knew him all his life.  Old roy. Used to say . gentle not simple. .l sometimes have a drink with his g.son. could he be the same man you mentioned?
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline kathbn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 18:55 GMT (UK) »
hello Rob
thanks for mail yes it is the same Roy he was my grandfathers nephew my grandfather was William Gentle known as Bill would you have any information about John Gentle married Charlotte Marshall 1895 I Know they had links with Preston my mother used to tell me about a carpet shop ithink one of his sons married a  Jimimia Varey 1925  cant seem to find out much about them I would be grateful if you could help thanks Kath         kathbn

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Again. Just a ps.i have nothing on John.  Or his wife.  But am a distant relative of the vareys. In Lancashire bolton areas.  Olso the. Marshalls.but the Scottish ones. .Bye for now.  Rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline kathbn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rob

thanks for mail the marshalls are also related my mothers brother Leonard married Mizzley Marshall. As my mother was youngest of 16 she was only born as they got married,also mams great aunt married Issac marshall her name was Louisa Gentle she died in carpet van outside public house Holts Arms Billinge Lancs,i think that was around 1903 also A Margaret Gentle

Offline gentlejimmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
hey kath my names jim Gentle , my grandfather was john gentle and grandmother Jemima varey we are from lancaster england but have moved to austrailia , if you would like more info i could you add you on facebook and you could get more info from my parents . cheers
also know old roy gentle

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 March 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Bill Gentle, my uncle, used to live in Golburn, Lanks.  Also Annie, your aunt, used to live in Plank lane  because I went to see her with my Dad, Mum, Uncle Bill and aunt; you had another cousin that lived in Leigh and his name was Jim Gentle and his wife Lily. Another cousin also lived around that area caleed Connie who owned 5, 6 or more houses.

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 April 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
Out of them brothers you put up there Ben Gentle was my grandfather. Also he had 9 sons and he left England to go to Ireland. Also he was burried in Killkenny. Ben's wife was called Nora Hall and she came from Kent. The name of the 9 brothers:
George, Roy, Bill, Fred, Johno, Edward, Pato, Arthur and Jim. They are all dead now. And we were Romany Gypsy's. Ben Gentle was a horse dealer. And if you want to know any more just ask.

Offline sure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 April 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Bill Gentle, my uncle, used to live in Golburn, Lanks.  Also Annie, your aunt, used to live in Plank lane  because I went to see her with my Dad, Mum, Uncle Bill and aunt; you had another cousin that lived in Leigh and his name was Jim Gentle and his wife Lily. Another cousin also lived around that area caleed Connie who owned 5, 6 or more houses.