Author Topic: Clazie from France?  (Read 18640 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clazie from France?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 15 September 12 18:27 BST (UK) »
I understand the Rootschat policy of not allowing private email addresses to be posted, and I have always adhered to it, but in this case I was passing on email addresses which the researchers in question have given to a publicly available history magazine, for publication, with the express intention of attracting emails from interested parties. Surely a bit different from inadvertently giving away a private email address!

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 26 October 12 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hello to all CLAZY (etc.) researchers. I've just received my copy of the latest Borders Family History Society magazine (Issue no.80, October 2012) and one of the articles mentions a CLAZY. I quote ..

" ... there was in Selkirk at that time a remarkable dominie, Dr. Clazy. His reputation was such that my grandfather, Andrew Haddon, was sent from Hawick to Selkirk to board at Dr. Clazy's school. This school was on the site of the present Selkirk High School ..."

Harry

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 26 October 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that historical snippet, Harry.  Does the article mention the dates when his grandfather was at Selkirk?  Probably “Dr. Clazy” was John Clezy, born 1790 at Woolwich, who was the rector of Selkirk Grammar School from 1825-37, then emigrated in 1849 to South Australia.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 26 October 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
There are no dates in the article, but reading between the lines it looks to me as if you have got the right period and the right Dr. Clazy/Clezy.

Harry

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 26 October 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
John Clezy / Dr. Clazy seems to have preferred the Clezy spelling, still used by his descendants in Australia.  My own ancestors preferred Clezie, brought it to Canada & the U.S.  Other cousins chose Clazey, Clazie and Clazy.  How was the name actually pronounced in Old Berwickshire?

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 17 August 14 20:03 BST (UK) »
Latest Clazie news:  more records of the name in France, in modern times!

Geneviève Clezy born 31 Jan 1899 at Ay, Marne, France; parents not named.

Rosalie Marie Clezié and Mathieu Fourgette, parents of the bride at a wedding, May 1901 at St-Maur, Marne, France.

In the U.K. the accented é disappeared and spelling variations developped:  Clazey, Clazie, Clazy, Clezie, Clezy.

We now have French records of the name from 1567 to 1901 and British records from 1665 to present.  The two grew up together, on both sides of the Channel.