Author Topic: Beaten to death  (Read 2749 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Beaten to death
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 05:41 BST (UK) »
John TUTCHIN of the 'Observator' died after being severely beaten in the Queen's Bench Mynt Prison in 1707 and the entry there says that he was buried at Christ Church Surrey.
He was a strident non conformist and anti papist who upset a lot of prominent people including some of Winston Churchill's ancestors.
"The Duke of Marlborough believed Tutchin to be in league with Lord Haversham, ...and said  I'll break his and the printer's bones, which I hope will be approved on by all honest. Englishmen. ..."

I have been searching for anything relating to his burial and would appreciate any help.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beaten to death
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

He died on 23rd September 1707 according to the entry in Wikipedia

Entry from St George the Martyr Southwark's burial register

29th September 1707 St George the Martyr Southawrk
John Tutchin The Observator in St Georges Street in the Mynt buryed at Christ Church in Surrey

Christ Church Churchyard was at Blackfriars Bridge Road though you might expect a burial entry in that church's register if he was buried at Christ Church (though non-conformists are not always mentioned in church registers as there would be no service and burial would not be in consecrated ground). There is nothing in the register. It could not at the time have been called Blackfriars Bridge Road since the first bridge wasn't built until 1769. The churchyard was closed in 1856 and opened as a public garden in 1900.

He was apparently 43 (his elegy stated)

In 1707 the Queen's bench prison was at Angel Place, off Borough High Street, Southwark. I think John Tutchin probably lived in the Liberty of the Mint. I'd be less sure the Queen's Bench prison was actually in the Liberty but it was certainly adjacent to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_of_the_Mint

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Beaten to death
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 14 03:57 BST (UK) »
Looking through old posts I find that I was very remiss in not replying to the valuable information that you provided Valda ....... I regret that I can offer no excuse save that it was at a very stressful period in time for me.
Joe  :-[ :-[
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.