Author Topic: John Major 1859-1896  (Read 821 times)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Major 1859-1896
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Is there anything that can be done to improve this copy of a copy of a copy?  We have no idea who in the family might have the original or if they even know what they have.

This is John Major born 1859 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.  He died in 1896 in Newarthill, Lanark, Scotland.  This photo would have been taken in the 80s.  His father was Thomas Major, mother was Mary McCulloch, and spouse Mary Deane.
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Major 1859-1896
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
No better but had a try:

Offline Craig Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shave the hair off my head and grow it on me face (repeatedly). I have three children and too many grey hairs for my liking (related?) I live on a giant housing estate called Daventry with me Julie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi. There isn't much there to actually restore, so I thought I would come at this from a different angle. Being an illustrator by training I thought I wold treat it as an illustration, and merely add colour and shading to help suggest what should be there. Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it looks better I think.

Craig.

Offline diesse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 01:44 BST (UK) »
A couple from me.
Di
Badge, Butt, Brentnall, Cannon, Dixon, Esse (Main) Harcourt, Mahony, Moss, Mossop, Nickells, Sowerby, Vickers U.K/Australia/U.S.A.

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for your different attempts.  Pretty good for having so little to work with.  I do know that he had a mustache and a small beard.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 April 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
Craig,
Thank your version.  I have gone back in and managed to remove more of the speckling and it really looks pretty good.  Do I need to acknowledge you by name if I share or post this photo for family?

Thanks again for everyone's attempt.

Kathy

Offline Craig Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shave the hair off my head and grow it on me face (repeatedly). I have three children and too many grey hairs for my liking (related?) I live on a giant housing estate called Daventry with me Julie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 April 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Kathy! I'm new to this, so your guess is as good as mine. I'm just glad it was of some use to you. You have my blessing to do whatever you like with it ;D.

Craig.

Offline John Wilson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 April 24 20:53 BST (UK) »
Is there anything that can be done to improve this copy of a copy of a copy?  We have no idea who in the family might have the original or if they even know what they have.

This is John Major born 1859 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland.  He died in 1896 in Newarthill, Lanark, Scotland.  This photo would have been taken in the 80s.  His father was Thomas Major, mother was Mary McCulloch, and spouse Mary Deane.

This is his Mum, Mary. I am a related to her brother.