Author Topic: Edward McMurchy of Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland  (Read 28051 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Edward McMurchy of Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Mother Mary didn't show as deceased on son John's marriage entry in 1908. This looks a possible entry for her in 1891 with her brother John (who showed as a gardener in the 1871 census entry I posted earlier) - children showing as born in Lochwinnoch:

John Bone 34, gardener b. Sorn
Christina Bone 9
Maggie Bone 5
Mary Bone 2
Mary Bone 27, sister b. Sorn
Flora Liddell 42 housekeeper b. Tarbert, Argyleshire

Address: Auchengrange Gardners House, Lochwinnoch Renfrewshire

Maybe John's wife had died and sister helping out with children?

John's 1881 entry:

John Bone 26, gardener b. Sorn
Mary Bone 26 wife b. Drymen, Stirlingshire

Address: Auchengrange, Lochwinnoch Renfrewshire

His marriage cert would let you confirm it is the right family by confirming his parents.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 23 July 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
David

I think this might be the family that your referred to earlier (Margaret, Isobel and Elizabeth Bain, also known as Meg, Tibbie and Lizzie). Likely daughters to Mary's brother James b. 1857. From 1901 census - children all born Glasgow:

James Bain 44, Mercantile Clerk, b. Sorn
Mary Bain 40, wife b. Blantyre, Lanarkshire
Mary Bain 24, Bakers Shop Keeper
Maggie Bain 22, Grocer's Clerkess
Isabella Bain 19, Waitress Teakoones (as transcribed)
Lizzie Bain 17 Drapers Assistant
James Bain Jr 17

Address: 121 Greenhead St, Glasgow Bridgeton

Monica

Offline Horatioseeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Yes, it's the right lot, and confirmed by my Scottish relative. who now remembers them and where they lived - "a lovely villa at Tollcross - now replaced by a motorway".

Re: Mary Bone aka Bain. I now have a birth certificate showing that was indeed the daughter of Joseph Bain (coachman) and Margaret Ambrose, and as such the partner of John Macdonald b. 1858 and mother of John Macdonald b. 1883.
She later married a Robert McCosh on 14 Nov 1917 in Troon when she was a house-keeper and spinster.  What is not clear is why she appears to have abandoned her son John to be brought up by his aunt Maggie Bain, when she could have taken him with her when she went to look after her brother John Bone’s children in Lochwinnoch. 

As for the parents of John Macdonald snr. (b.1858) the quarryman, I have a birth register which names them as Charles Macdonald - ironstone miner and Elizabeth McDerment, but so far have drawn a blank on both of them.

Going back to the original string – Edward McMurchy - Neil Macdonald and Mysie (b.1842) McMurchy’s son Edward Macdonald was a highly-decorated sergeant in the Argyll and Sutherland Regt., being awarded the DCM and then later a bar to the same medal for his gallantry in September 1917.

best wishes,
David

Offline DeltaDawg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
My husband is a Bain. His great-great grandparents were Joseph Bain and Margaret Ambrose. His great grandfather was Joseph A. Bain. I would love to share information with you. We live in the U. S. My husband’s grandfather came through Canada to North Dakota around 1895. Life must have been pretty grim as it seems that the family dispersed all over the world from South Africa to New Zealand to the U.S. Please let me know if you are interested.

Offline john.mcmurchie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I have recently been doing a bit of research that has taken me back to John McMurchy and Janet Carmichael. A lot of what you have posted ties in with what I have been finding. I followed the lineage of Edward's brother Neil McMurchy (born 1858). At the moment I haven't managed to get back any further than John McMurchy & Janet Carmichael getting married 22nd of May 1788 in Killean & Kilchenzie. I was wondering if you'd managed to find any other info on them?

Many thanks

John

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

These are not my family lines so I didn't research further after the searches on this thread.

A problem you are likely hitting by now is the lack of surviving parish records for the period in the 1700s that you are interested in.

I wonder if any other family researchers have made further headway?

Monica

Offline john.mcmurchie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks for the reply.

Ah, ok. Well thanks anyway- a lot of what was previously posted in this thread confirmed my findings. A couple of slight differences that made me go back checking again.

Yes it seems to be a bit more difficult to find anything back beyond that. If anyone has found anything I’d love to hear!