Author Topic: Sarah McArthur of North Knapdale  (Read 2495 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah McArthur of North Knapdale
« on: Saturday 09 November 13 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think I am clutching at straws here but hope someone may be able to help me, even if it to say looking with such little information is futile!!

I am attempting to find the parents/family of Sarah Welch/Welsh nee MacArthur/McArthur.
I have her life after marriage sorted finally but would now like to go earlier in her life.  This is what I know from her Death Cert:

At death in April 1866 she was recorded as being 47 so DOB is c1819. 
Her father is recorded as John MacArthur occupation Sawyer and deceased prior to Sarah's death.
Her mother is recorded as Agnes MacArthur (nee McDonald) also deceased prior to Sarah's death.

I have not been able to find a birth record for Sarah on Scotland's People - any ideas?

Census records for Sarah after she married indicate she was born in North Knapdale - hence my search in this direction.

I wonder if I have the correct Sarah MacArthur in the 1841 Census were a person of that name is aged 20 and is an Ag FS living with the Grant family in Kilbarchan?  (my Sarah marries William Welch/Welsh from Kilbarchan in 1843).

Unfortunately my Sarah seems to have a range of ages but I gather that is to do with how they were recorded in relation to the census.

Any thoughts on who Sarah's family is?  Sarah & Williams children are Agness, William, Jane/Jean & John, if that is of any help!

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has any thoughts.
Cheers
Blacksmithy

Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah McArthur of North Knapdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 November 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi blacksmithy

Not sure whether you have checked the 1855 birth registration (28 MAR 1855 in Kilbarchan) for John Welsh , son of William and Sarah. 1855 birth certs, first year of official registration included a lot more info for just one year. It should include age and places of birth of parents, marriage date, no of children they'd had (girls/boys, alive, deceased). You may have all this info already but thought to mention in case...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah McArthur of North Knapdale
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 14 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
thanks so much for your reply sometime ago, I am finally able to get back on board with it after a few hiccups. 
Anyway your posting proved very very helpful and confirmed Sarah's maiden name as being McArthur and from North Knapdale.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find Sarah's birth/baptism with the parents John McArthur and Agnes (nee McDonald).  Nor can I find any existence of her parents although the were both deceased at her death in 1866!  Perhaps no record was kept.

Again, your help was much appreciated and I sincerely apologise for my lack of response to your posting.
Happy New Year
Blacksmithy
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand