Author Topic: Sweet Fanny Adams - when did she die?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Fanny Adams - when did she die?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 January 14 00:04 GMT (UK) »
This can not be Fanny as she is on the 1871 census with her father.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jennifer,
Are we talking about the same Fanny Adams, the girl who was butchered?
On the website HantsGov.uk/curtis-museum/Alton-history/fanny-adams there is a complete article, including a copy of her death certificate. This gives her father as George Adams, bricklayer.  with the date Saturday 24th August 1867. Her mother is mentioned as Harriett and Fanny's sibling as Lizzie, aged 7yrs. Surely, there was only one Sweet Fanny Adams.
RobPhill

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 January 14 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi RobPhil,

As far as I know my sweet Fanny Adams was not butchered - her mother was Harriett but her father was William - I did not know this story although I knew the phrase - will read it with interest and hope to fine the death I was looking for some time!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 January 14 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I also found a little Fanny Adams in my tree, and although she died young I was relieved to find she was not the Fanny Adams.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 January 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Surely, there was only one Sweet Fanny Adams.

No - just one famous one and lots of others, like this one.

Offline RobPhill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just to clarify a point, the term 'Sweet' was added to the name of the Fanny Adams who was murdered in 1867 by the twisted humour of the British sailors. The use of tins of mutton was the recently-introduced convenience food in 1869. The disatisfied sailors declared that their butchered contents must surely be "Sweet Fanny Adams". This term was gradually accepted throughout the Armed Services as a euphemism for 'sweet nothing' and this term passed into common usage. The large tins used for packaging the meat were often used as mess tins and even today mess times are colloquially known as 'fannys'. Having served in the Royal Navy for over 20 years I am familiar with this usage. I am sure that there were several other Fanny Adams born in the same era. I wish the researchers luck in finding their correct one.
RobPhill