Author Topic: Mystery of SMITH family in Bedale National School House in 1851, 1861  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi again, Everyone,
I'm at a bit of a loss with the SMITH family of Bedale.  I've been tracing an individual called Charles SMITH, born about 1845 in Bedale, who seems to have started life as a joiner and then became a carpenter, and eventually was involved with the railways as an "inspector of signals".
Remarkably, his birthplace of Bedale seems to pick him out from all his other numerous namesakes.
In the 1851 and 1861 Censuses of Bedale he is living with his mother, Elizabeth, a tailor's widow, born in a place I cannot quite decipher - Watton? (in the 1861 it looks like Thornton Wittall?), with his siblings Mary Ann, Jane and John in a dwelling called National School House, next to Flood Bridge House, which in turn is next to the Union Workhouse.  His mother is described as "pauper, tailor's widow" in the 1851; and in the 1861 Census there is a lodger Annie DAVIES aged 22 who is described as an infant school mistress.
Could somebody tell me why an impoverished family with their head presumably prematurely dead would be entitled to live here (and not the workhouse)?
And is there anyone privy to the Bedale PR's who could maybe unravel what might have happened to the family before 1851, i.e. a death and burial of the now absent tailor, or even an earlier marriage pre-1841 or so.
I'm a bit unfamiliar with this part of Yorkshire, too, hence the uncertainty with interpreting the mother's exact birthplace...
Many thanks,
keith

Offline tina morana

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of SMITH family in Bedale National School House in 1851, 1861
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith  :)
Elizabeth's birthplace looks like Watlass and in next census Thornton Watlass.
If you Google you will find it's a beautiful little village in Yorkshire.
Good luck
Tinam
btw her daughter Mary Ann 20 is an assistant teacher in 1861 census, so perhaps that's why
they were living at the school?

Cornthwaite, Morana, Pearce, Gaffney, Hazlehurst, Milburn
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
or  "All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
Tina,
Thanks very much for that piece of local knowledge.  Nice to know that the ancestors grew up in attractive surroundings!  Though I imagine the life was hard even there then...
Have now discovered a baptism for a Charles SMITH in Bedale on 27-07-1845, parents George SMITH and Elizabeth.  And the family in the 1841 Census, in Allchins Yard (just off the market place?)George aged 25 (rounded up or down?), tailor, with Elizabeth, son George aged 2 and Mary (-Ann?) aged 4 months.
I've also found a couple of burials for a George SMITH in Bedale in 1846 and in 1848 - I wonder whether this could possibly be father and son, but in which order, as neither son George nor his namesake father appear in the 1851 Census...
regards, keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
Tina,
Just seen your added comment now, and Mary Ann being an assistant teacher in 1861 has to be significant, though the family seem to have been in situ at the School House at least ten years previously...
keith

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 09:25 BST (UK) »

Hi you two,

For anyone else reading this, I've added some information possibly relevant to this thread here :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,647647.0.html

Kind regards,

Pels. :) :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Pels,
Wow! have just switched on this morning to discover all this wonderful research you have done for me on the other thread.  Will need a little while to digest all this lovely info (and my breakfast), and I'll get back to you very shortly...
keith

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 May 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
I'm now watching both threads with huge interest. Maybe my Smiths from that area will raise their heads eventually.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Devablue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 October 14 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Keith,

I am new to Roots Chat and just saw this discussion from last year. You mentioned your interest in Charles Smith. I have been tracking a John Smith who I think is the son of George Smith of Bedale and a brother of Charles. If it is the same Charles Smith then by 1871 both brothers were living in Rochdale at Kenion Street, Castleton. Does this fit with your research and do you have any idea why they headed for Rochdale? John went on to marry Eliza Looker, settled in Rochdale and is my Great Great Grandfather.

Kind Regards

DevaBlue