Author Topic: Yorkshire parish records and FindMyPast.co.uk  (Read 8815 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yorkshire parish records and FindMyPast.co.uk
« on: Tuesday 28 January 14 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but does anyone know if/when this is going to actually happen and these parish records digitised & made available on FindMyPast? I've heard a rumour that it's going to be some time this year (i.e. 2014), but nothing more definite than that.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10251792.Old_parish_records_to_be_made_available_online/

Paul

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Yorkshire parish records and FindMyPast.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't hold your breath too much, still waiting for the remaining Hertfordshire parish records to be uploaded after the initial release in Feb last year. ::)

That said, they're apparently launching a new website over the next few weeks and claim it will mean they will be releasing new records every month.  I shall believe it when I see it, but could involve some of the Yorkshire records too.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I asked findmypast a couple of weeks ago. They said they are making good progress and although it is not first in the queue expect something soon

Reply #7 in this thread is what I posted at the time

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=673987.msg5190659#msg5190659
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 January 14 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Mind you FindMyPast have been saying "coming soon" about various of the unfinished collections for some months.  In October 2013 when they announced a partnership with familysearch to pull FS's indexes through to the site (as ancestry have also done) they got quite a few complaints about not finishing collections/launching promised new collections rather than keep starting new projects, to which the response was (as usual) not much longer to wait, watch this space.

That said, they've finally launched some of the British India Office collection which has apparently been a work in progress for some years, so you never know.  Personally, I just hope they finally upload the remainder of Hertfordshire which according to Hertford RO in an email reply to me had been completed at the beginning of last year. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
I've not spotted anything official like a press release, but looks as if the first batches of Yorkshire P.R.s are starting to make their way onto Findmypast.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/yorkshire-parish-records---parish-list?_ga=1.214039191.1097976189.1403645064

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 September 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
I suspect they haven't finished uploading yet which is why there hasn't been an official announcement. ;D  Did wonder if they were just transcriptions but searched on a couple of parishes and as there are images of the original records it does look like they're finally appearing.  Can't see Sculcoates amongst the records, which I'm interested in as have a number of sidelines that went there, so may well be the case of a "work in progress". ;)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 September 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting the link, good to see they have started posting the records.

Although that does pose another question if anyone knows the answer. I have a person on the 1841 census in North Yorkshire and to the question whether born in the same county he says yes. Now does this yes imply he was  born in North Yorkshire or simply the whole county of Yorkshire ?

(Unfortunately James dies in 1850 so just misses the 51 census)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 September 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting the link, good to see they have started posting the records.

Although that does pose another question if anyone knows the answer. I have a person on the 1841 census in North Yorkshire and to the question whether born in the same county he says yes. Now does this yes imply he was  born in North Yorkshire or simply the whole county of Yorkshire ?

(Unfortunately James dies in 1850 so just misses the 51 census)

"Y" for born in same county in 1841 will imply Yorkshire as a whole, not necessarily the same Riding. I have people born in the West Riding, living in the North Riding in '41 with a "Y" for born in same county.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 September 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
OK thank you that is very helpful