Author Topic: How can I go one generation further back?  (Read 5692 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can I go one generation further back?
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Using a range of records and some excellent local history materials I've been able to build up a fairly detailed and 'rich' picture of the life of my four-greats grandfather, Francis STAINTHORP (1765-1822).

In contrast I have only a bare and uncorroborated record of his father Robert Stainthorp, my five-greats grandfather, in Hutton Rudby. All I think I know is below.

I'm deep into the 18th century and out of my comfort zone.

Any pointers on where I can look for records that might exist that might (a) confirm that the details below are correct and relate to the correct person, and (b) put some flesh on the bones?

Many thanks,

Paul

--------------

Francis Stainthorp baptised 10th March 1765, Rudby. Son of Robert, householder.

Robert Stainthorp of the parish of Rudby married 15th May 1764 to Margaret WILCHINSON. Witnesses: John CUST; James SIGSWORTH. The vicar was George Stainthorp[e] (vicar at Rudby All Saints' 1735-67; no relation as far as I can tell).

(There was another marriage 25th July 1743 of Robert Stainthorp, weaver, to Mary SIGSWICK, by banns. This could have been an earlier marriage - making Francis the only child of a second marriage to an older father - or we could be one generation back and be looking at the marriage of Robert's own father. I suspect the latter but I don't have any hard evidence.)

Robert Stainthorpe buried 23rd April 1820, Rudby. Aged 79 (so d/o/b between April 1740 and April 1741). (Another Robert Stainthorpe bur. 13th June 1786, aged 66. His father again?)

All of the above come from parish record transcriptions done by the local history society some years ago, now matched against the Bishop's Transcripts from Findmypast.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How can I go one generation further back?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
There seems to be lots of Stainthorp's in and around Potto, Whorlton, Ingleby Arncliffe and Kirkby Sigston so might be worthwhile expanding your search a little.

Wills are a good way of figuring out who belongs to whom. There are lots of Stainthorp(e) / Stainthrop wills from the 1700's onwards but no Robert unfortunately, although this could be wife Margaret:

July 1828: Margaret Stainthorpe of Hutton Nr Rudby (Administration)

It may also be worth ordering the will of Francis who died in 1822 if you don't already have it as this may name extended family members.

As families tended to stick with the same names there may also be a connection to the following wills:

27 July 1693: Francis Stainthorpe of Potto. (Will) 
02 Mar 1692: George Stainthorpe of Potto Moor, Whorlton. (Administration)
15 Dec 1690: William Stainthorpe of Potto. (Administration)

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 02:50 BST (UK) »
And here's a snippet from a quick google:

Great Ayton Register 1774, No. 162
Robert Stainthorp of Hutton Rudby, Widower, Weaver, & Ann Porritt of Ayton, Spinster married 7th June by me A Hastwell, Curate in the presence of John Tunstill, Henry Rain.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
There seems to be lots of Stainthorp's in and around Potto, Whorlton, Ingleby Arncliffe and Kirkby Sigston so might be worthwhile expanding your search a little.

Wills are a good way of figuring out who belongs to whom. There are lots of Stainthorp(e) / Stainthrop wills from the 1700's onwards but no Robert unfortunately, although this could be wife Margaret:

July 1828: Margaret Stainthorpe of Hutton Nr Rudby (Administration)

It may also be worth ordering the will of Francis who died in 1822 if you don't already have it as this may name extended family members.

As families tended to stick with the same names there may also be a connection to the following wills:

27 July 1693: Francis Stainthorpe of Potto. (Will) 
02 Mar 1692: George Stainthorpe of Potto Moor, Whorlton. (Administration)
15 Dec 1690: William Stainthorpe of Potto. (Administration)

That's fantastic, thank you. Someone on chat last night suggested http://www.origins.net/NationalWills/Search/PECY/SearchPECY.aspx, which was a tool I wasn't aware of. There are a couple of hundred Stain* wills from Yorkshire on there; chances are even if it doesn't help me this time there'll be some of mine in there for future problems.

I think the Margaret Stainthorp who left a will in 1828 was probably the daughter of Francis Stainthorp (1765-1822). Either way, that one's worth a punt.

Yes, I have Francis's 1822 will (via index to TNA death duty registers and the Borthwick). I learned a lot about him and his children from it. Nothing that gives a clue about the previous generation though.

Thanks. That's given me something to go on.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
And here's a snippet from a quick google:

Great Ayton Register 1774, No. 162
Robert Stainthorp of Hutton Rudby, Widower, Weaver, & Ann Porritt of Ayton, Spinster married 7th June by me A Hastwell, Curate in the presence of John Tunstill, Henry Rain.

Aha. That's interesting. If this is the same Robert who was married to Margaret WILCHINSON, then we might be getting somewhere. (There is a Margaret Stainthorp, wife of Robert, bur. Rudby, 29th March 1771.)

Have you got the source of that please? Never mind: found it! https://archive.org/details/publications90yorkuoft

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to the latest £1 offer from Findmypast, I've now got a copy of the scanned Great Ayton parish register for the Banns of this Robert Stainthorp's second marriage to Ann Porrit.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2f007588038%2f00029&parentid=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2fban%2f34072%2f1

I think that the 'signature' of Robert Stainthorp which appears after "This Marriage was ſolemnized between Us{", and the the rest of the entry, are in different hands.

Does anyone agree with me?

If so, do you think that the 'signature' could be in Robert's own personal handwriting?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Are you looking at the Banns, or the Parish Register entry of marriage? (2 different things!).

The priest/vicar/registrar usually filled in all the details except for the signatures on a Marriage Register entry - exactly the same as happens today! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I believe it's the Banns. The text of the entry reads:

No 162
Banns of Marriage between Robert Stainthorp of the Parish of Hutton Rudby & Anne Porrit of this Parish were published the [1st?] the 8th & the 16th Days of May 1774 by A. Haslewell Curate. The said Robert Stainthorp of the Pariſh of Hutton Rudby, Widower, Weaver in the Diocese of York……… and the said Anne Porrit of the Pariſh of Ayton in the Diocese of York, Spinster……… were Married in this Church by Virtue of Banns published as the Law directs this Seventh day of June in the Year One Thouſand Seven Hundred and Seventy Seven by me Anthony Haslewell Curate of Ayton. This Marriage was ſolemnized between Us{ Robert Stainthrop / Ann Porrit In the Preſence of{ John Tunstill / Henry Rain

It's on page 45 of a register (of Banns?), Archive reference 1/6/1, North Yorkshire County Record Office, in the "Yorkshire Banns" record set of Findmypast. http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2f007588038%2f00029&parentid=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2fban%2f34072%2f1

The bits I've underlined are the handwritten bits.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the variety of signatures in the other entries in the image, then I would say that was Robert's signature.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk