Author Topic: Missing 4xg grandfather  (Read 13329 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 4xg grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 July 13 18:19 BST (UK) »
Mags, absolutely superb sleuthing, this has been a brickwall for ages. Thank you very much. I see it has his mother Helen Clifford down as McClaughlan and yet I have Daniel down on every census as Clifford. This is definately him though. Wife was Mary McLean (she's another problem) and the grandson-in-law James McBride mentioned is my GG grandfather, married as you say to Daniel's grandaughter Mary Ann.

Interesting that his father was a soldier as according to his wife's DC so was her father. Now Daniel I know was born in Ireland somewhere so I presume his mother Helen was Irish. Now I have to find out where John McClaughlan came from. Was he Irish too or a British soldier in Ireland.

Also would there be records for the Union Poorhouse and why was he in Linlithgow ?, was that the nearest one to Bathgate. Why was he there full stop, he had plenty of family in Bathgate.

Once again Mags, thank you for tracking this down.

I have removed attachment, as Rootschat policy is only to show a part of the certificates for handwriting and translation purposes only.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 July 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Information about Linlithgow is on Peter Higginbotham's site.

www.workhouses.org.uk/Linlithgow/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see the local history library has produced a booklet. PM if you want one and I'll get it and post to you.

Mags

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 July 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Mags, I had looked at that site as I had several families in Linlithgow. That's three I have so far ending their days in the poorhouse, hard times.
Yes I would like a copy of the booklet but you must let me reimburse you. I'll PM an address.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 July 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
The records of the Poor House are not held by West Lothian Council but by Lothian Health Services Archive at Edinburgh University (it had become a hospital and the the records transferred to them). West Lothian Family History Society have been transcribing the registers and the transcriptions should be available to search at Linlithgow and Edinburgh shortly. The register of inmates starts in August 1894.

Eric

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 July 13 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric, 4 years too late for Daniel to be in them, I would still like the booklet though Mags.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 August 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
Mags, I have been away in Dorset for a week and the booklet had slipped my mind, so it was a lovely surprise to find it amongst the bills and junk mail  ;D. Very interesting reading and though it seems to have been one of the better poorhouses, I don't think I would have wanted to end up there. I still don't know why Daniel would have been in there given that he had many family members about but at least when he died there it was under the control of the more enlightened George and Janet Johnstone.

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of obtaining and sending this to me.

George.

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 August 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello George,

STV showed two good programmes on the workhouse. Don't know if they are still on catch up.
The workhouse was one place a person could go to get free health care so perhaps that is the reason Daniel went there.

Secrets from the Workhouse - Tuesday, June 25 | STV Player
player.stv.tv/programmes/secrets-workhouse/2013-06-25-2100/‎

Secrets from the Workhouse - Tuesday, July 02 | STV Player
player.stv.tv/programmes/secrets-workhouse/2013-07-02-2100/‎

Any other names to look up on burial discs?

Mags

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 August 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
I do have a couple outstanding Mags, I will PM you.   :)

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 August 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
hi there dan clifford died at russells row bathgat on 18 march 1890 and is buried in paulville cem bathgate section n lair 212   i have passed this on to georgeterry and usher