Author Topic: Isaac Johnston, Armagh  (Read 7079 times)

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Johnston, Armagh
« on: Tuesday 09 April 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information re my great grandfather, Isaac Johnston, who lived in Armagh on the Mall and was a carpenter.
According to the 1901 & 1911 census, he was born in Co tyrone. His parents William & Rachel Johnston are both buried in St Mark's graveyard in Armagh, but they must have been living in Co Tyrone when Isaac was born (about 1857). I would like to find out if Isaac had any brothers or sisters... again the 1901 & 1911 census gives a Frederick Ryder, nephew, living with the family.
Isaac married Elizabeth Macauley (Lizzie) in 1883 and her address at the time was "The Palace" Armagh - so I presume this was the Archbishop's palace. Perhaps she was working there. Is there any way of confirming this ?
I am also looking for a Matthew JOhnston, who would be Isaac's grandfather, a farmer in Tynan, Co Armagh.
Last week, Rootschatters were such a great help with my Sgt Holmes query that I thought I would try my luck with another of my "brick walls" - I hate to ask too much, but any advise would be really appreciated.  Many thanks in advance
Liz

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Johnston, Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I cannot answer the Co. Tyrone angle but I have found the marriage of  William Johnston and Rachael Wright in 1857 in Lislooney Presbyterian Church, Tynan, Armagh. I can find four children of the marriage, all born in Tynan, 1864 Isablla, 1867 Martha, 1870 James and 1874 Ellen.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 09:37 BST (UK) »
I don't know why I always imagined that Isaac was an only child ... perhaps because my grandparents never really talked about family and as a child I certainly never asked any questions !!  But four brothers and sisters , so one of the girls must have married a Mr Ryder .  Many thanks indeed for your help, Liz

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found Isaac's sister Ellen in the 1910 directory living in Navan St Armagh .......
http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Armagh-2.php

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 16:06 BST (UK) »
Here is widow Rachel & family in Middletown, Doogary, Tynan in the 1901 census.  The grand-daughter Rachel Gillanders would suggest perhaps that it was Martha Johnston who married a Mr Gillander, but I can't find the marriage.  In the 1911 census there is a Samuel Gillanders who must be Rachel's brother ...   I would be grateful for any help.
Liz

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 16:07 BST (UK) »

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   In 1889 there was a marriage of John Gillanders to Sarah Jane Johnston in Middletown Presbyterian Church, Tynan.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million for finding that marriage - Sarah Jane must be another daughter then .  eight children, we 've come a long way since my thinking my great grandfather Isaac was an only child !!!
Liz

Offline augereau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello to everyone !
Further to my queries about my great grandfather Isaac , I have done a bit of work since then ....
Isaac's sister , Sarah Jane Johnston married John Gillanders in 1889 in Middletown, Doogary, Tynan.
They may have gone to America, and had two children there, Samuel & Rachel.  (the census sheets for 1901 and 1911 gives their births in America but also in Co Armagh).  It looks as if Sarah Jane died in 1900 but I can't find confirmation of this ... in the 1901 census John Gillanders is living with his widowed mother and he is a widower and there are three sons, Samuel , William & Thomas James. In 1901 his daughter Rachel is with her grandmother Johnston in Middletown. 
I think Rachel married Robert Meaklim in 1908, but again I have no confirmation of this.  As far as I know, Robert was a carpenter and he may have died in 1955.  I don't know whether it is possible to find records for this date, or to discover where they might be buried, nor indeed if they had any  children.  I would really like to know if the descendants of this family are still in Armagh.
Many thanks for any help at all !
Liz