Author Topic: Trotter Family  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Palaeoclark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trotter Family
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any descendents of Dr Robert de Bruce Trotter (c1834-1907) and Helen Finlay Baird (c1854-1917). They had several children including Thomas Baird Trotter whose descendents lived in Hobart, Tasmania; Dr Robert Samuel Trotter who died in Sydney, Australia; Dr Alexander Trotter who married Annie Smith Mearns; and I believe Robert Maxwell Trotter of London (although he may be a cousin). There is an item that Robert de Bruce Trotter had in his possession in the 1890s that I hope one of his descendents may have inherited that I would love to illustrate in a book I am writing. It is an small amber bead with a silver ring through it. I can tell the whole story behind it if you contact me.

Offline Palaeoclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trotter Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
I am looking for living relatives who may have inherited this object ... The moderator also sensibly suggested the following:

Moderator Comment: If you are able to help Palaeoclark with information on any living persons please respect their privacy by passing on the information using our secure PM system. Thank You.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
hi  :)

found this -

"an oval polished crystal of a yellowish colour , 7/8 inch in length by
  11/16 inch in diameter , exhibited by dr R de brus trotter , of perth ,
  is said to hav been found at Leac A Geelie , Carrochtrie"

scottish charms and amulets - proceedings of the society 8th may 1893

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/articles/charms1.htm

at bottom of page

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Palaeoclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 May 09 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that ev,
I have contacted the National Museums of Scotland to see if they have much else from Robert Trotter. He certainly donated material to Perth Museum (they do't have the piece I am looking for) and the National Museums of Scotland took charge of the Society of Antiquaries Museum. Hopefully they have the amber bead. The article you mentioned includes the story of the piece I am looking for. It is quite a fun read:

VII.
SCOTTISH CHARMS AND AMULETS. BY GEO. F. BLACK,
ASSISTANT-KEEPER OF THE MUSEUM.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY, MAY 8, 1893.
….
To Dr E. de Brus Trotter of Perth, I am indebted for the following
account of an amber bead in his possession, which was formerly used as
a charm. The bead is 7/8 ths inch in diameter and 1/2 inch thick, and
has a silver ring through the perforation :—

"I got the bead when a boy (about 1845) from Mrs Shaw, near Auchencairn,
Berwick, Galloway. It originally belonged to her father, a man of
the name of Carnochan, a celebrated smuggler of the end of last century.
The history of it, which of course is entirely fabulous, was that he took it from
a " bing o' eththers" which were busy making it, at the fort of Knocktintal;
that he galloped with it in his hand, and the adders in pursuit, across the sands of Auchencairn Bay at half tide, and swam his horse through the tide to the island of Hestan, the adders being drowued when they got among the broken water. He wore it on a ribbon round his neck as a talisman for luck, and used it for curing "backgaun weans," "elfshot kye," and "sick beass" generally,
and for averting the effects of the evil eye. It had to be dipped three times in
water, which was given to the sick child or animal to drink. I don't
remember if any words were said. Old Carnochan lost it one Sunday when
digging for worms in his garden, and his luck left him, his cargoes were captured, his hiding-place betrayed, and he died in poverty. One of his grandchildren many years after found it in the garden, but the luck didn't return
with it. It was tried to cure Jean Craig's cat, but the cat died, and so it was
thought of no more use."

Best wishes,

Neil

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 June 09 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Palaeoclark,

Just wondering if these Trotters have anything to do with the Trotters of Ballindean in Perthshire?

Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline pattitrot

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 July 09 06:37 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Dr. Trotter. I am Fred Trotter's daughter and deBruce Trotter's granddaughter. I live in Canada but my father's grandparents immigrated here from Scotland in the late 1800s I believe. I do not know of the stone you are looking for but would love to hear the tale!

Offline prentonan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 August 09 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi to all on this Trotter Family thread. I am a direct male descendant of Dr Robert de Bruce Trotter, my GGrandfather...We are the Prentonan Trotters.
I can answer questions raised here.
First, Dr Robert deB T 1833-1907 is not "of Perthshire" , he lived his latter years in Perth at "Tayview House", 2 Tay Street 1881-1907. He was born in Galloway.
His son Dr Thomas Baird Trotter 1870-1913 is my Gfather. Thomas died young 1913 and his widow and 6 children (3 boys, 3 girls) were all in Australia by 1929, a daughter lived in Tasmania. Only one son, my father George Baird Trotter 1908-1973 had children, myself 1948 and an older brother...we have male children so the line continues. My elder brother has the little stones "adder beads?" set in silver brooches, I will ask him about them.
Robert Samuel Trotter, died NSW 1929 was Thomas' elder brother..no descendants surviving.
The Ballindean Trotters are distant relations of our line of Prentonan (Berwickshire to 1758 later Galloway). They descend from the Mortonhall Trotters who descend from William Trotter of Catchelraw and Isabella Trotter of "Prentannan" mar. c.1437. The Ballindean used the coat of arms of Isabella, and her arms (differenced) are still quartered with those of Catchelraw and are used by Mortonhall today. We were Chief until 1677...now mortonhall from 1792.
Pattitrot is my cousin in Canada (hi), descendant of Thomas' youngest brother Maj. James Baird Trotter MC 1889-?. His only son Fred is her father.
I have just finished an 8 year study of the Prentonan Trotters and will print and send it to all relevant libraries and Fam Hist Soc's in Scotland, England, Canada and Australia soon. It covers our history from the first mention in 1066 to today and is 342 pages. It follows the male line but identifies and discusses many of the female lines also. I must say to you that many of the sites and references purporting to have a history of Trotter, actually mix up incidents and individuals and families a lot.  Much of what is attributed to "Trotter", actually refers to many different branches of Trotter...but are made to sound like a single family...this is not so. 

Regards to all Trotters and our kin.
Geo.

Offline prentonan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 August 09 05:19 BST (UK) »
To Paleocraft: A little more info I omitted on my last post.
yes Dr Rob. deB T had a number of sons as you said above.  (4 sons, 3 dau's)
Dr Robert Samuel T 1869-1929 m. Janetta Stevens Muir Martin - 2 ch.
Dr Thomas Baird T 1870-1913 m. May Eveline George 6 ch (my line in Australia).
Dr Alex. deBruce T 1878-1939 m. Annie Smith Mearns no ch.
Maj James Baird T 1889-aft. 1929 m. 1st Annie Freeman Lamb 1 ch. (Patti's line in Canada)  (James then remarried?)

The Dr Robert Maxwell Trotter 1872-aft 1930 (m. Lilian Tait no ch found) you mention was a nephew of Dr Robert deB T being a son of Robert's brother Dr Adam Kenmore/Kenmuir/ Kenmure Trotter 1840-1872 and Adeline Jane Chalk.

I have emailed my brother for pics of the "adder beads".
Regards
G.

Offline prentonan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 09 06:11 BST (UK) »
oops, another mistake...I'm doing this a lot lately.  I said Major James Baird Trotter 1889-? had an only son Fred...in fact his only son was Major DeBruce Graham Trotter KIA Italy WWII. DeBruce's only son was Fred, father of pattitrot. Sorry for that.
I have checked with my brother and he and my sister both agree, the "adder beads?" brooches we all remember from our childhood seem to have disappeared now.  Only one possible stone survives...it is gold mounted and contains a brown stone.  As soon as I receive the pic of it I will post it, although it does not seem anyone is still interested, judging from the absence of any follow up posts here.
Regards,
G.