Author Topic: old Dalbeth cemetery and missing death certs  (Read 3863 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: old Dalbeth cemetery and missing death certs
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 September 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
Going by the details about the family posted in the previous topic it seems unlikely that they would have had the funds to erect a headstone.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 September 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey  :)

Hopefully the burial register for Old Dalbeth, if the correct one from 1854, may at least give some info on where at least Ellen was buried within the cemetery.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 September 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, hopefully so, but I was just commenting that there's unlikely to be a headstone which may explain why the details don't show up in the survey mentioned at the start of the thread  ;)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:10 BST (UK) »
Monica and Rosie, Again thanks so much for the help. You are correct Monica, the Gilmour family in the 1851 census is mine. Charles I have info on as well as John. Sister Mary none, as too many Mary Gilmours on SP to know which is mine and I do not want to spend a fortune. As to Thomas and Robert, I found 2 Roberts who fit the bill in 1861 but cannot definitely identify which may be mine. In both cases he is no longer a baker. I was going with the guy in Ayr but until I can locate a death cert for him I cannot be sure.I have checked SP from 1884-1900 with no one seemly fitting the bill. As to Thomas, I thought I had him married to Isabella until I saw marriage and parents were not the same. Him being a mason tho' looked promising as his brother and several cousins are masons. I can find no Thomas in SP from 1855-1875 and 1881-1900. In both Thomas and Robert's case, I can find none in deaths who was born in Ireland. James, I have discovered may be a brother or cousin. My John is buried in his plot in St Peter's Dalbeth cemetery in Glasgow. He is also at same address as John in 1881 census (55 East John St,Glasgow). I need to locate Mary, Thomas and Robert's death certs as I am getting the mother as McLaughlin, McGlaughlin, Hatton and McHatton and want to try to confirm correct one. Lastly with Ellen, I had found a pauper who died in St Quivox,Ayr in 1872 who I thought may be related as on her death cert was the name Hendry and nothing else, which my Rosie's name has sometimes been put as instead of Henry.  I then came across the Ellen who died in 1854 and thought well maybe she was the correct one but I need more info on her to be sure. She was listed in burial records of the Old Dalbeth cemetery but no other info except date of death 25-06-1854. If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thank you, Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 September 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
You haven't by any chance come across an Edward Gilmour, born in Ireland, in Lanarkshire? I've misplaced one that's only half attached to the family tree! Since I don't have a clue when he was born it's rather difficult.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
Have just seen the death certificate for John Gilmour died Shettleston 1908 age 91 widower of Rose Anne Henry father William Gilmour crofter, mother Helen McLaughlin ..This John was boarding with Thomas Gilmour from 1889 till 1901 at 129.Springfield  Lawrence Massachusetts  occupation both masons ...By 1901 U S City Directory lists John Gilmour removed to Paisley .....Thomas W ....House .Mason 5,Portland ..Think this Thomas W is his son

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 September 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey and Rosie, Thank you so much for your replies. As to Edward Gilmour, I haven't as of yet come across him in Lanarkshire but will keep my eyes open. The only Edward I have come across has immigrated to Chicago. Rosie the details you have found on John are correct. He did indeed go to stay with his eldest son William Thomas in 1889 and returned to Scotland in 1901 living with his daughter Helen in Paisley. He died in the Wm Wood house in Tollcross in 1908. In May 1889 John arrived in Boston with his son (William) Thomas and with a Elizabeth Gilmour age 16. I have yet to discover who she is nor what happened to her. On John's brother Charles death cert in 1886 the mother is listed as McHaton. Hence the need to locate other family.

Aghadowey, if I may, would you have any idea where in Derry I might try to locate William Gilmour and his wife besides Bovedy? I know the Henrys were around Portglenone,Tamlacht O'Crilly,and Bellaghy/Innisrush areas I would think maybe my Gilmours were too as John Gilmour and Rose Henry were 2nd cousins when they married. Would going up to PRONI help?
Any help is so appreciated. Kim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, I was just looking at the 1861 Scotland census and found several Edward Gilmours. Might any of these pertain to you?

1861 Scotland census:

Edward Gilmour
born 1837 Ireland
living at 11 St Andrew's St, Dumfries
occ: boot & shoe maker

Edward Gilmour
born 1815 Ireland
living at 10 Brown St,Calton,Glasgow
occ:labourer
living with wife Elizabeth & 3 kids

Edward Gilmour
age 38 born 1823 Ireland
living at 20 So Coburg St,Tradeston,Glasgow
occ:mason
lives with mom Mary age 74, David Gilmour age 28 and William Gilmour nephew age 8

Are any of these connected?? Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 September 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the above details. Don't want to hijack your thread so will send PM later.