Author Topic: knockando house  (Read 16019 times)

Offline cjoneill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: knockando house
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 November 06 08:43 GMT (UK) »
gday alasdair
Thanks for the info on knockando house that was very interesting.Tried the moray site but there wasnt too much on there about the house.
thanks again
cheers cj
moray: collie  younie grant margach
wiltshire: crook mould
peterborough: mobb
aberdeen: ogg  allardyce strachan findlay
lancashire:yates craigg
banff:cruickshank

Offline David Geddes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 June 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hello- you still interested in Knockando House?  My grandfather 9 generations back was the Factor (general manager) to the estate owner - Captain Grant of Knockando House. My gfatherx9 was Lachlan Macbean, himself related to the lairds of Tomatin- and he died 1784 at Knockando. He lived in the tack (estate tenancy) at Upper Borlum (Borland) farm. After he died early within weeks of Capt Grant dying, his wife took up with the tenant of Upper Tomdow , Charles Miller, tenant on the same estate. The Rev at the manse - another Grant - was Guardian to Lachlan and Janets 6 children. Janet had at least 2 more with Charles Miller at Upper Tomdow. Our family gravitated then to Aberdeen. The Grants were important and rich but not the main sept of that family.  I believe Capt Grant may have fought in the American Wars of Independence possibly at Ticonderoga. There are certainly stories about the military Grants to do with the aftermath of Culloden and the subjection of the Highlands, and he seems lucky to avoid at least one attempted assassination. I'm just scratching around the edges at Knockando as my blood line dies there and the sons and daughters move away, but I believe there is plenty history to be found. Hope this helps. I'm at david.geddes@ymail.com

Offline grahambck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 20:12 GMT (UK) »
hi Alasdair, my Grandfather also worked for whitelaw in the 50's he was his butler

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 December 22 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.