Author Topic: John Bonnyman -Tailor - Elgin  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Bonnyman -Tailor - Elgin
« on: Tuesday 20 August 13 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi.  My Great Grandmother was born Annie Sim (sometimes called Annie Grigor) b.2 June 1860 Bishopmill, Moray - she married John Bonnyman, in Elgin in 1886.  She was his 2nd wife as his first wife, Elizabeth McIntyre, had died.  John Bonnyman b.1834 in Bellie. His parents were James Bonnyman and Helen Rennie or Rannie.  He was a journeyman tailor living at 129 High St, Elgin.  He died in Mar 1901 and is buried in the cemetery of Elgin Cathedral.  From his first marriage he had children  James d 7 years, Isabella Maurice d.1917, Robert d.1919 and Alexander not sure when he died. I would be interested to make contact with any other researcher who has information relating to the family of this John Bonnyman.   ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bonnyman -Tailor - Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 00:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Purudaya.  :)

I'm afraid you have posted this request on the wrong board. It should be on the Scotland board rather than "How to use Rootschat". I will ask a moderator to move this to Scotland for you.  :)

Maybe to start the ball rolling while you wait for some replies, there is a very slim to no chance that anyone on Rootschat will have photographs of your family, however sometimes family members can find these Rootschat posts (often via a google search) and join up to contact distant cousins.

Regarding the boarders in 1901 - are you attempting to find out if there is any family connection between these boarders and Annie Bonnyman?

Good luck with the quest.

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie.  I have realised since posting that it was the wrong Board but I have been searching for the right board and have not realised there was a Scottish board and cannot seem to find it.  I am new to RootsChat Forum and will take on board your advice.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
It's fine Purudaya, one of the moderators will move this for you.  :) It can be tricky to find your way around the site, but I'm sure you will get the hang of it in no time.  :)

Looking again at your question, I am not really sure what exactly you are looking for. If looking for information about Willilam .... do you have William's birth certificate, and does it name his father?  You say that William was "brought up as John's child and took his name" - do you have reason to believe John was NOT his biological father?

It may be possible to locate the boarders in other censuses which may help if you are trying to connect them to the Bonnyman family. Of course there may not be any connection at all. Many people did take in boarders and I note that Annie's occupation in 1901 is Boarding House Keeper. Have you attempted to find the boarders (or any that you have a specific interest in) in other censuses?

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I shall reword.  I have also discovered the correct board on which it should have been posted.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

This probably will not get you much further forward but have you used libindx? (This is the site for information about Moray). A search under Bonnyman does show those buried in Elgin Cathedral but does also provide information about about death notices in local papers. There are also references to John and his first wife claiming poor relief.

The valuation rolls on Scotlands People for 1895, 1905 and 1915 would tell you where the head of household was in these years. The national library of Scotland has put a lot of directories online and may also provide information for between the censuses. Have you considerd a google search for the names you are interested in? Sometimes this can produce surprisingly helpful results.

Good luck with your search.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 11:49 BST (UK) »
Link to LIBINDX refrred to by William

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Purudaya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 03:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks William.  I have used LIBIndx which has been helpful as far as it goes.  I shall try the National Library.  And I have checked the Valuation Rolls.  It appears that he rented another property at 23 Greyfriars St, Elgin whilst he was living at 129 High St according to Census 1891 and 1901. Was this a common practice ?