Author Topic: Ixworth Farm?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline sararvella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ixworth Farm?
« on: Thursday 05 November 09 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again,

So I've gone forward through the Parr Ixworth records, and it looks like a George Parr b 1831 took on what I'm assuming was the family farm, he died young and then his wife Susan let it out, shown on the 1881 Census. I've tried and tried but can't seem to get anywhere in figuring out which farm it was or any sort of land records, I'm wanting to know because I'm hoping it will help me get further back as the earliest farming Parr I have a record for is shown on high street as well, farming, with a farm of something like 140 odd acres.
So, any help would be greatly, greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Sara

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ixworth Farm?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 09 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Sara,

Not exactly sure if this is what you're after, but have you tried looking around the neighbourhood on the various censuses to narrow down the location of the farm?

For example on the 1861 census the Greyhound Inn is on the High Street then there are about 5 residences along the High Street, then the the Parr's farm, then about 6 more residences then Comister Lane.

Similarly with the 1881 census except the enumerator appears to have gone back the other way with Comister Lane, then the High Street residences including the Parr's farm then Greyhound Inn.

If you can locate some of these landmarks on an old map then compare the location on a map of today you may get an idea where the farm used to be. No doubt under a sea of houses by now.  :-\

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
sara,

Looking through the Ipswich journal for Ixworth, there are several farms in that village. There is Dairy Farm, Ixworth Thorpe Farm, Wood Street Farm, Bridge Farm.

Have you tried Old MAPS:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspx

Bridge Farm is on that map, as well as Dairy Farm. Bridge farm is to the south and Dairy farm to the north.

Tom

Offline Deborahmmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara
I have been researching the history of my cottage and randomly came across you post regarding the Parr family of Ixworth.
With the cottage came paperwork regarding the will of Susan Parr (farmers widow) from 1882. She died in 1885 and left the cottage to her daughter, also Susan Parr who then married Herbert John Death in the same year. 
Thought, this might be of interest to you.
Deborah 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 14 01:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Deborah.  :)

I'm afraid that Sara hasn't been on rootschat since August 2010. If she still has the same email address and has enabled notifications she should receive an email telling her that you have replied.

I hope she sees your message as it is good of you to reply with such interesting and relevant information. So are you the owner of the original Parr farmhouse or another cottage associated with the farm?

I will send her a personal message in the hope that she is still around ....